Thread: How does a dues level membership get developed?

Default How does a dues level membership get developed?

If you support developing programs that AUGI would charge dues for, how do you see those programs being developed? For example would they be developed by volunteers or do you think that AGUI would have to pay for that development?

Default Re: How does a dues level membership get developed?

This would have to be discussed with the board and officers, then voted on by the members in my opinion. I feel it would be best if kept at the volunteer level because of cost. This is a slippery slope though, if the dues get to high it might/probally will effect membership. I feel the dues should be kept at a minimum; but not knowing the financial status of AUGI its hard to say what they should be. I do think that when dues are paid (even if they are minimal) that members become more active.

AUGI Director

I think that if we could find qualified volunteers to do the work we would absolutely utilize that resource. However, if we were planning to charge for the service (whatever it may be) we would more easily be able to justify hiring non-volunteer efforts to develop it. So, I suppose it would depend on the specific service/product and its circumstances.

Personally, I have long thought that AUGI should not become a 'pay-to-play' organization. That said, as a Board member every reasonable idea must be explored and I am open to discussing the development of all types of programs; both premium/fee based, as well as sponsored and purely volunteer (free to all).

I would much rather work to obtain (more) sponsorship from around the industries we are involved with than charge the grass roots members.

If there does become a premium area I would see the Board developing the programmatic strategy with desired goals, then create groups to champion and spearhead these programs. The groups would come up with concepts and plans for specific programs that they feel are in line with the AUGI's goals. The program managers would then prepare program concepts, proposed budgets, needs for member and others' involvement, etc. The Board would then guide and oversee that the programs chosen to move forward with are up to the set standards.

In regards to charging volunteer members for services that they help develop, if programs are developed by, or in part by volunteers we would naturally want to extend to those 'volunteers' full access to the extra (or fee based) services that they help develop.

These members could then become even greater benefit to AUGI, as they would almost assuredly market the premium offerings that they help create to widespread industry conferences, publications, social media, blogs, etc.

This symbiotic relationship could help AUGI and it's membership at all levels.
    Last edited by Jay Zallan; 2011-11-07 at 07:23 PM.

Development of new products and workflows can be greatly offset by volunteers such as ourselves. However, delivery of these improved products and workflows may incur cost that would have to be deferred either by sponsorship by supporting business affiliations or passed on to the members as needed to satisfy to cost. A plan, drawn up by the Board of Directors would be required and executed by the President of AUGI.

Some services may be run by volunteers but at present I think it unlikely a vertical development of AUGI without a good financial support.
    One has to understand that some solutions require investments, contracts, and economic security. I firmly believe in volunteering, but you also need to invest in products and services to create value for them. Everything has to be discussed at higher levels and need to achieve the goal of creating a successful business model.
    The advertising is not enough.