Thread: Q relating to family loading

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Q relating to family loading

Hi Team,

Potentially dumb question here, im one of these AutoCAD geeks from way back who have had the pleasure of self-teaching in Revit. Some say a curse some say a blessing.

I have a question, when you have a member that you want to change from one family to another, you choose the member, go edit type, choose from the drop down if you already have the family in you project and then load the specific member you want.

My question is, is is possible to make Revit load the selected or at least take you to the folder that it is stored in rather than just to your global library location?
    it seems im spending heaps of time just loading family’s and trawling through explorer when i would think Revit knows what family i want so why doesn’t it just take you straight there? Have i missed something along the way?

Please have a look at the attached screenshot to get clarification on what im on about.

One other thing, why on earth is Revit dependant on your mouse hovering over the cell in your properties menu when you need to change an item, a height of a column would be a good example, i clicked the bloody box why do i need to keep my mouse hovering over the cell to change it??? Seems dumb, or again am i missing something?

Cheers guys, hope this doesn’t sound like a big winge, I’m just a bit confused.

Corey
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to FOUTJM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Q relating to family loading

well you can get to your content folder by setting the shortcuts in your file locations. i have attached mine. and you dont need to go thru edit type everytime you want to load a family. go to the insert tab>load family. not sure what version you are running but they are all sort of similar in these respects.

not sure what you are talking about for the properties menu. if you change a value and then float out into your model space it should apply the change you made to the model element.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

I know what you're talking about with the hovering issue - and it's quite maddening. Not much advice I can give except change your ways to the Revit way of life and learn to type while your mouse pointer is in the way, so you can't see what you're writing...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
    I know what you're talking about with the hovering issue - and it's quite maddening. Not much advice I can give except change your ways to the Revit way of life and learn to type while your mouse pointer is in the way, so you can't see what you're writing...
    haha thanks for that, yes seems so strange that if i click in a box i still have to hover over it, as if my decision to click wasnt confirmation enough that i wanted to change something huh.

Thanks though, good to know im not just holding my tounge wrong.

Cheers
    Corey

Login to Give a bone

and thanks J, working on changing my ways somewhat, loading the familys the other way is good too.

Cheers
    Corey

I could stop if I wanted to FOUTJM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

when you pull away from the properties bar and put your pointer in the model window you are basically saying "hit apply for me revit, i dont have time for that one more click". so yeah. you will have to get used to that. you think Revit's interface is wierd...try blender for a week. its like learning the instrument panel on a jet fighter.