See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Floor box with power & data

Login to Give a bone

Default Floor box with power & data

Is it possible to create a floor box that has power and data that will view as black (not grayed out) on both the power plans and the systems (comm) plans? It doesn't need to have a data connector. I don't want to have to place a second dummy device on the systems plans just to see it. VG isn't the answer. HELP!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Floor box with power & data

i made a cube the size of the floor box, that sits 1/8" above the floor surface, then place a receptacle on one side and a data jack on the other, then lower the devices in section to just below the floor. this doesn't solve your problem of having separate power and data drawings, my floor box is on the electrical fixture category.
    i tried making a family with separate electrical fixture box and data box nested into one, hoping each part would show up on its respective view, but the combination family just takes on properties of power or data (whichever the combined family is set to) i tried making that a generic model and inserting as a component, but then both parts showed up in light pen, like an architectural item.
    so my advice is to make a section of a cube on each category, and place them individually and align and lock them together so it will move around as one item. each part will then show on its type of view. you can then show different sizes of floor boxes, like 2 power sections and a data or a/v, or whatever...
    hth
    mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

You can use a filter to accomplish this. For any power & comm combo families you would like to also show up on your systems sheets just include the text "Systems Sheets" in the type name. Then create a filter set up like this:
    Filter by: Type Name
    does not contain
    Systems Sheets
    Make sure to check the box next to Electrical Fixtures for the categories to apply this filter to. Add this filter to the view template for your Systems views and make sure its visibility is turned off. Finally make sure your Electrical Fixtures category is turned on. The filter will hide all the Electrical Fixtures for which the Type Name does not contain "Systems Sheets", ie. everything except your receptacle/data combo.

There are other ways to use this same method but this one will require the least editing of the family itself.

Login to Give a bone

Both solutions seem to have promise. It will be monday before I get to try them. I just wanted to let you know I'm still here. I hate people that don't reply after asking for help. Thanks, and I will let you know the outcome.

Login to Give a bone

Hai,

We are trying to develop a Floor Box with all in one (such as Power + Data) if any one has developed a Floor box with all these kindly share the RFA. it will be really appreciated and a time saving

Thanking you in advance

Binu Mathew
    BIM Leader
    Kuwait

Login to Give a bone

Neightyeight,

Your reply was right on track with what I was trying to do. Not to sound ungrateful, I am a complete noob, but your instructions really only hint at what to do if you don't know what you are doing. At this point I can't repeat what I did, but it finally worked exactly as I wanted. A HUGE thanks to you. I ended up with a floor box that is pretty for the architect, and it displays as dark linework in both power and systems plans. It seems to be a combination of view specific filters, view graphics, the order in which you do it and keeping you left foot in your right ear. This was my first use of filters and view templates so all in all I can't complain. I just wish I could explain it to Binu.

Login to Give a bone

I'm glad it helped. No, it's keep your RIGHT foot in your LEFT ear. You have to do it in that order...

To clarify in case anybody else is trying to accomplish the same thing:

1. First edit any family that you would like to appear on a Systems Sheet so that the type name contains a specific string of text (ie. "Systems Sheets").
    2. Create a filter set up like the attached image.
    3. In the view template for the Systems views add the filter you just created in the Filters tab.
    4. Turn the visibility checkbox off for the filter you just added.
    5. Turn on the Electrical Fixtures category checkbox under the Model Categories tab.

Now all your electrical fixtures will appear except ones for which the type name does not contain "Systems Sheets", namely everything except the Receptacle/Comm combo family in the case above.

This technique can be used to more efficiently show only Mechanical equipment with an electrical connector on power sheets or only ceiling items on reflected ceiling plans sheets and the list goes on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by neightyeight; 2011-11-30 at 12:12 AM.