Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Splash Page

Login to Give a bone

Default Splash Page

Is it possible to add a label, an annotation family, or something similar to a drafting view, which shows the Project Name and Project Number?

We currently set a blank splash screen (drafting view) as our startup screen by default when opening a project. It would be nice if we can at least add a tag that states the Project's name and number to this blank screen.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Splash Page

Just add some text or a logo image to that blank drafting view.

Login to Give a bone

I was hoping for something a little more automated than that. Most people won't bother filling in this information otherwise. I've tried a few methods for getting this information out, but can't seem to do it.

It seems a bit strange that I can't refer to this information about the project even tho it will be stored in the project's database.

Login to Give a bone

Unsure of your aptitude at coding .NET, consider writing a .NET solution that initializes a custom Splash image at startup including the appropriate Text Objects, which are then programmatically populated given the project being opened.

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

My .NET coding experience is none-existant.

I am trying to learn as much useful to Revit as I can. Would knowledge of .NET be a valid use of my time? Is it the main coding software used for Revit customistation?

I suppose the question I'm really asking is will a good knowledge of .NET lead to a large increase in what I can do with Revit? Or is it more a case of a knowledge of .NET is useful if you have it, but probably not worth the time if you don't know it already.

If it is useful, could you provide any links as to where I might be best finding some early tutorials to learn from? Or maybe some books that are particularlity useful.

Login to Give a bone

First, please forgive the tangent topic - I only meant the custom .NET Splash app as a suggestion to accomplish what it is you're wanting.

Second, I'm not a Revit guy myself, I actually work with Land Desktop, Map 3D, Civil 3D, Raster Design, and Microstation, etc.. That said, it is my understanding that Revit is (almost?) entirely customized by using the .NET API, whereas the above mentioned AutoCAD apps can be customized using the Visual LISP (ActiveX COM), .NET (C#/VB), and ObjectARX (C++ for AutoCAD) APIs.

Here is some information on the Revit API from the Autodesk Developer Center.

You'll also require Visual Studio 2010 Express (at minimum).

Please note that .NET development comes with a steep (exponential?) learning curve; however the more you learn, the more significantly capable you will be.

There are tons of starter topics here at AUGI, and at other CAD forums.

HTH

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Rather than a drafting view can you use a sheet view with the project information (ie labels) on it?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Overconstrained View Post
    Rather than a drafting view can you use a sheet view with the project information (ie labels) on it?
    I agree, my firm does exactly the same thing. Set up a sheet like "00_SPLASH" or whatever. Then instead of a drafting view on this splash screen just make a title block family with fields to read the project info the same way as title blocks on any other sheet.

-LP

Login to Give a bone

I have used the drafting view technique since I started using Revit in 2003. I brought the topic up in a recent AUGI post: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=134117 and was accused of being "old school" because R2012 includes a starting view option.

Mr Renderman, forgive me, but the Revit API is not for newbies. VB.net and worse, C#.net, belong in the world of professional developers, and not the overworked architectural dabbler, unless you are like me and have the desire and background to write serious code. If you were recommending interpreted VBA, I might agree. But VBA is dying, for various reasons, and we are stuck with compiled VB and C#. And, the Autodesk documentation is heavily skewed towards C# anyway.

A number of times in this forum there have been questions like "how did I get a number like 54.0000000031? My answer usually ends the thread: Floating point! Interest stops there.

To those who think they are still interested, don't miss Jerry Winters' classes at AU.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJarosz View Post
    Mr Renderman, forgive me, but the Revit API is not for newbies.
    I'm not sure where it is you think I've said that the Revit API *IS* for newbies... But this is what I actually said:

Quote Originally Posted by RenderMan View Post
    Please note that .NET development comes with a steep (exponential?) learning curve; however the more you learn, the more significantly capable you will be.
    As for this...

VB.net and worse, C#.net, belong in the world of professional developers, and not the overworked architectural dabbler, unless you are like me and have the desire and background to write serious code. If you were recommending interpreted VBA, I might agree. But VBA is dying, for various reasons, and we are stuck with compiled VB and C#. And, the Autodesk documentation is heavily skewed towards C# anyway.
    Everyone started coding somewhere... even you, dood.

If a numpty never tries coding for themselves, then they'll never learn... Perhaps instead, you'll consider sharing some of the experience and knowledge gained from your "desire and background" instead of acting like a jerk to newbies.

Developing with .NET is useful for a lot more than just Revit, my young Padawan, and is in fact very useful for anyone who works with an application that supports an Object Oriented API for end-users (i.e., AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Map 3D, Raster Design, Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO), etc.).

A number of times in this forum there have been questions like "how did I get a number like 54.0000000031? My answer usually ends the thread: Floating point! Interest stops there.
    You're correct that "[your] answer" ends the thread, but it's not "their interest" that's the problem... It's the poor taste response. Just saying.

Computer Specs:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast