Thread: 3 line profiles in Southern California

Civil Engineering Moderator civil3Dguide's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default 3 line profiles in Southern California

What is the best way to create 3 line profiles that are common in So. Cal.?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 3 line profiles in Southern California

I personally Like to STACK my profile views to effect this.

Which 2012 supports for offset profiles; however in a slightly different context.

Others use the Create individual Profiles with False Datums to effect the offset required, then Supe rimpose them into the Baseline Profile View(s)

And others still will do it another way, that I really don't like or advise, as it isn't handy if one needs to use OFFSET alignments.

Hope that points you in the general direction there Christian.
    Last edited by mjfarrell; 2011-12-02 at 04:17 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I thought I would post this link below to offer a different procedure to produce the desired results.

http://primeservicesglobal.com/tutorials/Stacked.mp4

Civil Engineering Moderator civil3Dguide's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks!
    I was hoping that there was something new that I did not know about. I'm new to California and have never had to create these or teach others how to create them until a few months ago.
    I find it silly the way they are shown, and so far I see very little reason for them.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Christian. having just spent the last two months in Doha, Qatar looking at SINGLE Line profiles.
    I can totally understand the desire to have the THREE Line Profiles on the plans.

You would not believe the pitiful level of detail things that pass for construction documents contain over here. The surveyors practically have to do all of the design work in the office or the field because the information for EP, TC and other things that need to be constructed OTHER than centerline are simply NOT on the plans.

Being from AZ, I often wondered WHY? WHY? WHY? do we do this sillyness.

Trust me having see these terrible plans without them, I now totally undstand an appreciate their purpose on the plans.

You will find that with some practice that particular process is fair easy to use and explain.
    I trust you understood how the need to 'foreshorten' the offset geometry to keep things related back to CL comes into play. Trust me it's easier to do with a computer than it ever was to do with manual drafting methods.

I'm sure that none of the commands used in that process are 'new'; it's just a method of putting the existing tools together to produce the desired result.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by civil3Dguide View Post
    Thanks!
    I was hoping that there was something new that I did not know about. I'm new to California and have never had to create these or teach others how to create them until a few months ago.
    I find it silly the way they are shown, and so far I see very little reason for them.
    Christian,
    Wait until you get a customer that wants to learn how to generate the curb returns labeled by quadrant using the Planar Method. Certain areas of Southern CA. required these on roadway plans when I was working out there. Even had a preset formula and associated form that you had to generate and submit with the plans for each intersection. When you are designing roads with a .003 grade and 1.5% crossslope, it is understandable if you have seen the roadways out there during a heavy thunderstorm ( 4" to 8" in less than twenty minutes)

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Mark, seems like the above task would require only to add additional PI along the curve at the required 'quadrants'; or is that over simplifying things?

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Michael,
    They want it Foreshortened but with the true L.O.C. and quadrant distances labelled. So, yes that is oversimplifying it a bit

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MHultgren View Post
    Hi Michael,
    They want it Foreshortened but with the true L.O.C. and quadrant distances labelled. So, yes that is oversimplifying it a bit
    However the same process outlined in the video would still apply, as it does forshorten the curb lengths, and the true distances and slopes would come from the actual design profiles along the curbs.
    Although it does seem to add a level of detail not essential to proper construction of those curbs.
    Which could be a good thing in actual practice; given the tight tolerences on slopes in your example.

Login to Give a bone

Does three lines profile create method?