Thread: Revit For Operations and Maintenance

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit For Operations and Maintenance

Has anyone out there done this? Current client would like to get all the manuals/ maintenance procedures linked to a revit as-built model. We are looking for any similar experience from others or facilities currently doing this.
    Thanks!
    Josh

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit For Operations and Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Has anyone out there done this? Current client would like to get all the manuals/ maintenance procedures linked to a revit as-built model. We are looking for any similar experience from others or facilities currently doing this.
    Thanks!
    Josh
    I'd be interested in hearing this as well.

We're using Revit models post-occupancy for reference just as we do our CAD files, but, at this point, we're not linking manuals or procedures to them. The PM and repair procedures are contained within the CMMS equipment/work order records.
    The manuals are separate documents that would reside on the server in the same directory as the plans, but, not actually linked at this point in time.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Thanks!
    Josh
    Here's an interesting link posted in the Navisworks forum by "Revit for Breakfast" - http://www.autodeskresearch.com/pages/dasher
    Project Dasher is a web-based application that helps to augment existing Autodesk® Revit® design models with real-time building submeter and sensor data on electricity and occupancy. Using meter and sensor data, Autodesk Project Dasher aims to demonstrate the value of integrating Building Information Modeling (BIM) and building instrumentation to provide building owners more insight into how existing buildings perform in real time and throughout the lifecycle of the building.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Project Dasher sounds interesting, its another dimension we hadn't considered yet. The client has now broken it down to two near term desired results and we have defined the "pie in the sky" result they want as well.
    For the near term, during design review phases, they want maintenance clearances modeled as well as replacement (ie how do we remove this boiler to put a new one in?) geometry defined in some way. Second they want all of the information necessary to service and maintain the equipment linked in some way to the object in the model, even if it is only in an external database that ties to the revit model.
    Pie in the sky, they want a "reader" application that can run on a mobile device that operates as an augmented reality tool to facilitate the maintenance of the building. They want to load a model and be able to "sync" it to the actual building to enable them to look through walls and ceilings to identify where hidden construction, equipment, clean outs, etc are located before punching holes and removing ceiling tiles. And it would be really cool if it could do it for site utilities as well.
    So, who wants to write me some software?

Login to Give a bone

Project Dasher is similar to something our Operations Manager would like 'pie in the sky'. The closest we've come is that when we do upgrade our CMMS soon, we'll be tying in our BASs for automatic work-order generation (currently the BASs are monitored 24/7, but, any point alarms are sent to pagers or printers, so, they want more of a paper trail and the avoidance of human oversight).

Maintenance clearances being modeled is a good one. Our mechanics tend to point those things out during the plan review phase, but, obviously, human oversight has led to a couple of difficult situations further down the road.

They must have some workers enthusiastic about technology. A lot of our guys are still anti-computer, except for some of the younger ones (and not even all of them). I do the training for them accessing the CAD files and other electronic documentation, and I'm not sure how much they'd want to access a model electronically versus a piece of paper. Good for your client for looking into the future, though.
    I know that the Engineers and I would appreciate that technology, and that's been my main driver for the move to Revit.

Project Dasher sounds interesting, its another dimension we hadn't considered yet. The client has now broken it down to two near term desired results and we have defined the "pie in the sky" result they want as well.
    For the near term, during design review phases, they want maintenance clearances modeled as well as replacement (ie how do we remove this boiler to put a new one in?) geometry defined in some way. Second they want all of the information necessary to service and maintain the equipment linked in some way to the object in the model, even if it is only in an external database that ties to the revit model.
    Pie in the sky, they want a "reader" application that can run on a mobile device that operates as an augmented reality tool to facilitate the maintenance of the building. They want to load a model and be able to "sync" it to the actual building to enable them to look through walls and ceilings to identify where hidden construction, equipment, clean outs, etc are located before punching holes and removing ceiling tiles. And it would be really cool if it could do it for site utilities as well.
    So, who wants to write me some software?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor