See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excel spreadsheet linking problem

Login to Give a bone

Default Excel spreadsheet linking problem

I am using Windows 7 (64 bit) OS , Inventor Pro 2012 (64 bit) and Excel 2007 and cannot get spreadsheets to link to Inventor models or assemblies. I have followed the instructions of a number of tutorials for linking spreadsheets to Inventor files but nothing works. When I select LINK in the Parameters dialog box all I get is the name of the file chosen for the link but none of the spreadsheet parameters show up. Is there something missing in my installation that would cause this problem ? I am not using the Vault or network licensing.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Excel spreadsheet linking problem

Didn't you post this question on another forum?
    Didn't I ask you at attach the Excel spreadsheet file?
    It is not possible for anyone to answer your question without the file.

Login to Give a bone

Yes I did post on another web site. I have posted on quit a few sites trying to get my problem resolved. I have not responded until now because I was having trouble getting the log in program to accept my ID and Password.

I am using Windows 7 (64 bit) OS , Inventor Pro 2012 (64 bit) and Excel 2007 and cannot get spreadsheets to link to Inventor models or assemblies. I have followed the instructions of a number of tutorials for linking spreadsheets to Inventor files but nothing works. When I select LINK in the Parameters dialog box all I get is the name of the file chosen for the link but none of the spreadsheet parameters show up. Is there something missing in my installation that would cause this problem ? I am not using the Vault or network licensing and I have tried linking with virus protection turned off.

After I link the spreadsheet file to the Inventor part I get the following in the Parameters window shown in the attachment. Notice there are no Parameters listed from the spreadsheet file. I am attaching the spreadsheet file but i am not able to attach the Inventor file which is nothing but a simple square box.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The first thing I noticed was that you have not defined any values or unit types in the spreadsheet. Without seeing the part file, it is hard to know how you have set that up as well. I created a simple box, and was able to link the parameters from your excel sheet successfully once the values were defined. When you link your excel file, make sure you chose A2 as the starting cell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Sent you the wrong file. Attached the right one this time. The spreadsheet and inventor files are from a YouTube video tutorial that seemed to work in the video. Yes I tried checking A2 in the Parameters box but that does not correct the situation. Have also attached a picture of the Parameters box after I tried to link. You will notice there are no parameters listed, only the file name of the linked file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Nothing attached other than the excel file. You can save a lot of time by attaching a part you have created and tried to link to so that we can look at it in more detail.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

How do you expect me to send you the part file to look at when the software running this site does not allow attaching .prt files. You can look at the part I am trying to use by going to "http://www.screencast.com/t/MPkQeZduU" web sit. I am trying to follow the example excel and part file shown in that video tutorial. I already attached the Excel spreadsheet and a picture of the Parameters window in the linked part file that I get after attempted linking in a previous meaasge. There are no Parameters for you to check out in the part file at this point. The part is just a simple square rectangle. For some strange reason my Inventor 2012 will not read the parameters setup in the Excel file and display them like the example shows in the tutorial. I have used AutoCAD ever since version one and have linked files in the past so I know a little bit about linking in previous versions. But, I am new to Inventor 2012 and I am trying to find out if anybody else has experienced this problem and what they did to correct it. Is this a bug in 2012 ? Is there a setting in Inventor 2012 that allows or disallows linking to external spreadsheets ? Do I have a crupted file in my setup ? I have been working with Inventor support personel for over a week now and I am getting very frustrated. So far they don't seen to know what is causing the problem. They tell me that they are able to get the part file to link on there system and display the parameters in the Excel file and show up in the Parameters Window so why doesn't my set up work like that ?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tlepird2925761 View Post
    How do you expect me to send you the part file to look at when the software running this site does not allow attaching .prt files.
    Inventor creates *.ipt files, not *.prt files (are you a former Pro/E user?).

In Windows Explorer right click on the *.ipt filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder and attach the resulting *.zip file here.

...and have linked files in the past so I know a little bit about linking in previous versions
    Can you reproduce the issue in 2012 with that same Excel file that you linked previously?

Originally you attached the wrong xls file here - are you sure you aren't trying to link to the wrong file?

Have you installed SP1 for 2012?

Login to Give a bone

If you will look at the list of attachments, you will see that the last one of the acceptable file types is *.zip. If you want to eliminate the possibility that the problem lies in the part file, then you may try that option.

That being said, I don't believe that is your issue now. The problem may stem from a faulty Inventor-Excel handshake or translation. I have see this occur in several Inventor installations, and the only fix I have found (sadly) is a complete un-install and re-install of Inventor AND Excel (the entire office suite if possible). Once the un-install is successful and the system re-booted, Excel must be installed first, and run and checked for a successful installation. The system must be re-booted again, and then Inventor can be installed.

I always install and run Excel first, and on a new or clean system if at all possible. The handshake failure still occurs on occasion and this is the only process that has worked for me.

Hopefully the dudes at Autodesk can find a less painful and time-consuming alternative. If they do, please let us know.

Good Luck!

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast