See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excel spreadsheet linking problem

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Excel spreadsheet linking problem

Do not have ZIP program to compress files. Do not believe the problem is in the part file because the part file works on other systems using Excel 2003 just not Excel 2007 on my system. I agree that it looks like the problem is in the handshake between the two programs but what to do about it ? I have tried re-installing Inventor and Excel but it still doesn't work. I read recently on an Inventor blog site, some guy posted a solution involving the editing of the Registery files on 64 bit systems to solve the problem. According to him, Excel 2007 and Inventor 2012 in a 64 bit enviroment need certain changes made in the Windows system Registery to allow for communication between them. Even though the process he discribes in the blog looks a little bit complicated, I think I will try it to see if it works. Thanks for all of your inputs.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JD Mather View Post
    Inventor creates *.ipt files, not *.prt files (are you a former Pro/E user?). .........Yes I am a former Pro/E user but that is not why I typed *.prt. It was a type -O. The sarcasam really helps.

In Windows Explorer right click on the *.ipt filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder and attach the resulting *.zip file here. Do not have A program to Zip files.

Can you reproduce the issue in 2012 with that same Excel file that you linked previously? ....The Inventor 2012 part file works on another system using Excel 2003.

Originally you attached the wrong xls file here - are you sure you aren't trying to link to the wrong file? ........I am sure I am linking to the correct file.

Have you installed SP1 for 2012?
    .........Yes
    Sorry you miss read my quote about linking experience with Autocad and Excel. I did not say I was experienced with Inventor 2012 and Excel 2007. I am new to Inventor 2012 and only recently install Excel 2007. The last time I used linking it was between Autocad 2000 and Excell 2000 which worked fine. A lot has changed in both of these programs over the years. The sarcasam really helps. Thanks for your inputs but I don't think I need them I the future.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Actually you do have a zip program. It is built-in to Win7:

RMB on any file/folder and you will see menus and options similar to the attached.The first item in the "Send to" menu is "Compressed (zipped) folder"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

My bet is the the spread sheet does not have the first two columns populated (a most, you can not have anything before on your spread sheet) by the parameter name and value, there is probally an issue with either of these columns. Or you have a bad parameter, you may have included an unusable character, like *)

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by David Gaskill View Post
    .... you can not have anything before on your spread sheet...
    Sure you can.
    YOU tell Inventor the start cell. It can be anywhere as long as proper convention is then followed.
    Variable_name, value, units, comments
    When Inventor hits a blank cell (other than units or comments) after designated start cell it will stop reading parameters. If units is blank Inventor assigns document units.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tlepird2925761 View Post
    I am using Windows 7 (64 bit) OS , Inventor Pro 2012 (64 bit) and Excel 2007 and cannot get spreadsheets to link to Inventor models or assemblies. I have followed the instructions of a number of tutorials for linking spreadsheets to Inventor files but nothing works. When I select LINK in the Parameters dialog box all I get is the name of the file chosen for the link but none of the spreadsheet parameters show up. Is there something missing in my installation that would cause this problem ? I am not using the Vault or network licensing.
    Hi,

Was the problem solved ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12