Thread: With the Frustrated Office Policy, How Do I Add Fonts to AutoCAD

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Default With the Frustrated Office Policy, How Do I Add Fonts to AutoCAD

I have received a new PC & wanted to add the "iso3098i.shx" to the Font folder.
    Also, I want to set the fontalt = "iso3098i.shx"
    The IT guys have set a new rule & prevent people added/extract files in the "Program Files" directory.

Your helps are much appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: With the Frustrated Office Policy, How Do I Add Fonts to AutoCAD

Create a new folder elsewhere on the pc - call it "acadfonts" or similar and put the shx file there. Add the path under Options|Files|Support File Search Path. Set Fontalt under Options|Files|Text Editor, Dictionary and Font File Names.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

We keep a 'fonts' folder on the server for all of our AutoCAD fonts. That way all of the CAD users have access to the fonts without having to install them on each machine.

Our local machines are all locked up tight also... keep me from spending my days fixing workstations!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Create a new folder elsewhere on the pc - call it "acadfonts" or similar and put the shx file there. Add the path under Options|Files|Support File Search Path. Set Fontalt under Options|Files|Text Editor, Dictionary and Font File Names.
    Actually I did it. But for some reasons "iso3098i.shx" doesn't show up in the Alternate Font dialog when browsing.
    Now it works.
    Thanks.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradomrg View Post
    We keep a 'fonts' folder on the server for all of our AutoCAD fonts. That way all of the CAD users have access to the fonts without having to install them on each machine.
    Our guys work on laptops and take them to sites or work at home often...

Our local machines are all locked up tight also... keep me from spending my days fixing workstations!
    I can see your point. But what about the other side?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BoKirra View Post
    Our guys work on laptops and take them to sites or work at home often...
    Easy-peasy: Windows Offline Files on the laptops, allowing them to sync up with selected support folders on the network.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BoKirra View Post
    I can see your point. But what about the other side?
    In my opinion there really is no other side... unless you plan on spending hours every week fixing what someone else(who had no business changing, adding or deleting) decided was a good idea. I believe an office is a bad place for a democracy... 'specially on the IT/resource management side. Having a written set of rules, and then utilizing tools to enforce them means that everyone knows what is expected of them.

Most IT guys don't want to deal with complaints over and over... so I would ask if it's possible to have specific folders unlocked for your use/revision if that's what you really want. If they see the benefit to you, and know that through doing this you can't get to anything else there is a good chance you'll get what you want.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradomrg View Post
    ...I believe an office is a bad place for a democracy... 'specially on the IT/resource management side...
    Exactly!!!
    Most IT guys don't want to deal with complaints over and over... so I would ask if it's possible to have specific folders unlocked for your use/revision if that's what you really want. If they see the benefit to you, and know that through doing this you can't get to anything else there is a good chance you'll get what you want.
    Thanks. I will try it, definitely.
    Please see my another thread before doting this.