Thread: Space Placing Problem

Login to Give a bone

Default Space Placing Problem

I'm working in a 2010 model which already has most of the spaces placed, but there are a few enclosed areas (which are rooms in the linked Architectural model) where if I place a new Space, it doesn't show up in any view and cannot be tagged. All the other spaces are visible and when I go to drop the space into the room, the graphic fills the room as it ought to, but once I place it, it disappears and I get an error telling me "None of the created elements are visible..." and "Could not create goemetry for Space."

This is happening for several rooms in the project, and I can't find a common connection for any of them. I've been able to place spaces into other rooms without a problem, but for whatever reason, these few just won't show up in the drawings, though they do appear in the schedule with the correct Area and Volume.

I have attempted to drag other spaces into the room as well as to copy them, with no luck.

They're not hidden.
    The worksets are correct.
    Visibility and Graphics set to show the appropriate workset and to show spaces.
    Upper limit is correct.

I have this feeling like I'm overlooking something really obvious, but I've asked around the office to see if anyone else had any ideas, to no avail. Any help on this would be really appreciated.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Space Placing Problem

Maybe something to do with how the room was placed in the arch's model. The arch might have placed those rooms on a level that your are not copy monitoring, go into the arch model and delete those rooms and make new ones on a level you know your are copy monitoring and re-open your project and see if you are able to create the space correct this time.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by smcmillin View Post
    Maybe something to do with how the room was placed in the arch's model. The arch might have placed those rooms on a level that your are not copy monitoring, go into the arch model and delete those rooms and make new ones on a level you know your are copy monitoring and re-open your project and see if you are able to create the space correct this time.
    I'll give that a shot.
    Interesting aside, I've got other Spcaes placed in enclosures that aren't rooms without a problem so my thought would be that isn't the problem.
    However a little while ago on a whim, i droped a room from Revit MEP into the enclosed area and it showed up fine. Then i dropped in a Space on top of it and sure enough, it worked. Strange.

the Wild, Wild West! (previously DC/VA, NYC...)
    Login to Give a bone

There are a number of possible reasons that your Space element cannot be seen.
    I have created a checklist to use here at our company whenever created elements are not visible. We have been using Revit a little over one year now, and have all levels of Revit users.

I’ll try to post a copy of my Object visibility Troubleshooting checklist here.

It is similar to one I found online,.. either here or the Autodesk forums, but I simply CANNOT locate it now

Also; this topic was covered at Autodesk University last year. I came across this topic recently. The speaker handout PDF document should be helpful – especially the checklist on the last page.
    -- http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=5507
    Hopefully this will help too.

Good Luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files

the Wild, Wild West! (previously DC/VA, NYC...)
    Login to Give a bone

Interesting.
    As I was searching for something else, I ran across someone referring to my previous post here as a resource/solution. That is always good for the ego.

As an update to my post above, I though that I should provide the latest iteration of my Revit visibility object troubleshooting checklist so that it might help other Reviteers. I've been adding items & updating it as necessary for almost four years now as I run across them. The list has been pretty static lately, so I feel that all the *common* issues are on the list. There are, of course, many more causes but they aren't very common, ..plus the sheet of paper is already full.

This list was created to help users solve the cause of the warning "None of the created elements are visible in Floor Plan: xxx Plan View. You may want to check the active view, its Parameters, and Visibility settings, as well as any Plan Regions and their settings."

The printable version of my checklist is attached. I'll paste the contents below to make it easier to see without logging in.

Hope this helps !

Wheres-the-family-troubleshooting_web.pdf

- - - - -

Revit Objects Not Visible?
    Try This Checklist

Settings to Check
    • Check Visibility/Graphics:
    - - • Is it hidden in the view? (Can use the light bulb icon on the bottom toolbar to quickly check. Use Visibility/Graphics dialog box to fix)
    - - • Is the category turned on? (VG or VV)
    - - • Also check categories "Generic Annotations" and "Generic Models"
    - - • For tags to appear, the corresponding model category must also be turned on (ie: room tags & rooms)
    • Check Worksets:
    - - • Is the workset turned on in the view (VG)? Or turned on globally (Workset dialog box)?
    - - • Is the workset loaded? (Workset dialog box)
    - - • Is the object in the right workset? Note that copying an item will put it in the current workset not the same workset as the original. (Element Properties)
    • Check View Range: Is the view depth setting set up to show it (View Properties)?
    • Is it outside the crop region? Click "Show crop region" icon to check (on bottom toolbar). Or deactivate crop region with "Do Not Crop" icon on same toolbar. (or View Properties)
    - - - • If part of a detail item or text is outside the cropped view, it will all disappear.
    • Check View Properties: ensure Display Model= "Normal", and Underlay orientation is set correctly.
    • Check the discipline of the view. Try setting view discipline to “Coordination” or to another discipline.
    • Check Detail Level (Fine/Med/Course)
    • Check Model Graphics (Hidden Line/Wire Frame/Etc.)
    • Check for any filters that may be affecting your objects (VG)
    • Are you zoomed in or out too far? Zoom all (ZA, or ZE, or ZF)?
    • Was it inserted on a level different from what you expected? (Element Properties)
    • If in an Elevation view: Check "Far Clip Offset" (try 100' or more). Or set Far Clipping property to “No Clipping”
    • If in an Elevation view: check that Elevation Markers point to the model
    • Sections only: check the setting “Hide at scales coarser than”.
    • Check Plan Region (if used)
    • Check Phasing (if used)
    - - • Is the Phase set correctly for view? (Existing, Demo, New Construction, etc.) (VP)
    - - • Is the Phase set correctly for element (Element Properties)?
    - - • Are the Phase Filters set up correctly (View Properties, or Phasing dialog box)?
    • Check Design Options (if used)
    • Were invisible lines used e.g. in a filled region?
    • Can you select item in another view, then return and look for the item's grips?
    • Is it a mass element with the mass category turned off? (VG) (or "Show Mass" Icon.)

Some things to try:
    • Create a new 3D view so there are few/no visibility settings adjusted.
    • Create new Floor Plan View or Reflected Ceiling View (not a duplicate of existing view).
    • In plan or 3D view; temporarily turn off items or categories to see if item is obscured (by walls, ceilings, floors, region, etc.), or use a section box.
    • Use wireframe setting.
    • Turn on all worksets. Load all worksets.
    • Turn on all filters.
    • Temporarily turn off items or categories to see if it's hidden by another object.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Try cutting a section through the offending spaces to see if they have a raised floor above the associated level. Usually when I see something like this, it's because the associated level of the space/view is below the floor that bounds the room/space, so in plan you see nothing, but in section you can see a 3"-1' tall space below the floor. If that's the case, you'll have to create a new level (or C/M the one form the A model) and create the spaces in a view associated with that level.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

or check to see if the arch has added an additional floor above the slab floor. like a tile pattern or carpet. if that floor is set to Room Bounding (like it is by default) then it will chop your space off at 1/4" tall.
    hth
    mike