Thread: Families - Different template types

Login to Give a bone

Default Families - Different template types

Noob question here:

Got into Revit recently, and am learning families. A few Q:

1. Can someone point me to a good explanation of the differences between the different "Generic Model" family templates? Can't find anything out there explaining the differences.
    2. I'm having trouble placing a "Generic model family type" component that I came up with into the project where I want it to go. I'm trying to understand how the component is placed when I load the family into the project. I DONT want the object associated with a wall, roof, or other project object; I want it to attach to an intersection of two reference planes. However, when I choose "pick a plane", it still wants to attach to a physical object.

So...

How does Revit decide what to attach a family type to in a project. Can I choose some sort of "base point" when I'm editing the type object, which will then be used for placement in the project?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Families - Different template types

1. Generic Model templates are just uncategorized families that can be modified to a particular category during construction. Such as if I wanted to create a door panel I would start with a generic model (unhosted) and change it to the Door category. Each Generic Model file has a particular hosting which should be self explanatory.

2. Use Align to move the object to a reference plane....Also when you place the family you have the choice in the panels to select Workplane or Face...it usually defaults to Face...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccenergy315476 View Post
    Noob question here:

Got into Revit recently, and am learning families. A few Q:

1. Can someone point me to a good explanation of the differences between the different "Generic Model" family templates? Can't find anything out there explaining the differences.
    2. I'm having trouble placing a "Generic model family type" component that I came up with into the project where I want it to go. I'm trying to understand how the component is placed when I load the family into the project. I DONT want the object associated with a wall, roof, or other project object; I want it to attach to an intersection of two reference planes. However, when I choose "pick a plane", it still wants to attach to a physical object.

So...

How does Revit decide what to attach a family type to in a project. Can I choose some sort of "base point" when I'm editing the type object, which will then be used for placement in the project?

Thanks
    Generic models come in several flavors (Wall, Ceiling, Floor, Roof, Face, Line & Generic). You sound like you want build your family as a face based family. Once created, you can then reassign this family to a more appropriate family type (casework, furniture...). Unfortunate, Specialty Equipment & Generic Models are the two categories things get dumped into, when there isn't another good option. Revit will try to place objects on the strongest reference in the view you're modeling in. When in plan this is typically the reference plan of the level your working on. You can add additional reference planes in elevation views, but be sure to label them. Labeling RP's will help when assigning object to those planes. It will also help identify what planes need to be there and which ones can go away.

The family's insertion point is the intersection of it's reference planes that 'Define Origin'.

There is currently no way of taking a family build as wall, ceiling, floor or roof hosted and making it none hosted or switching it to another host type. You can nest Face based families into these types, if you want. I have encouraged people creating content within my firm not to use hosted family templates (except face based).

I hope this helps,

Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks to both of you for your answers. Definitely food for thought. I'll try again, applying your ideas...