Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem dealing with voids in in family editor

Login to Give a bone

Default Problem dealing with voids in in family editor

Experiencing a problems with editing a family:

Using Generic model, I created a piece of channel strut (may be already out there, but I needed practice anyway), and used multiple extrusions to cut the slots that are every two inches along the length of the strut. It worked great, used them to cut the slots. But then I wanted to group everything in the strut so I could lock everything in place so I wouldn't mess it up. Revit wouldn't group the voids. Is there a way to get rid of void extrusions after cutting with them so I can create my group? (Or is there a better way).

Thanks

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Problem dealing with voids in in family editor

Is this an in-place family? Is the length parametric? I'm not understanding the need to group the voids. Can you post an image of what you're trying to get to?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Sounds like you're trying to use the strut as a part of a larger object. If so you might/should consider nesting the strut into the larger object.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Since your voids are in a group, the will not move. Technically, there is no reason to group them since a family is basically a group on steroids.

However, I did try to group voids inside a family and I was successful.

Are you able to provide the family for troubleshooting or a video through screencast.com?

Login to Give a bone

I appreciate the replies. I've only been playing around with families for about a month, so need to try a few more tricks before moving on with this. However:

The goal is a piece of 1-5/8" channel strut family type that I can place in another assembly (another family type) to use for racking. I do want to make it parametric, so I can change the length with an instance parameter. In fact, I'd like to do this with a formula, but haven't tried it yet.

Right now the challenge for me is to automatically cut the slots into the strut as I change the length parametrically. This is where the formula comes in (to divide the length so that I can place the slots evenly every two inches apart). I'm pretty sure I can figure that out, but the problem comes when I try to load into the other family and try to tilt the channel strut. I run into lots of constraint issue (won't let me tilt). That's why I was hoping to create the strut as a "group", so that I could tilt/place it where I want in the family I'm nesting it into.

I'm probably missing something that's obvious to some of you users that have been doing this for a while...

Login to Give a bone

Follow on question:

On the subject of the individual extrusions that I use to cut the slots, I was hoping to use them to cut the slots, and then discard them somehow (but still leave the slots). I'm guessing that this isn't possible, though(?). It would be nice if one could cut with a void extrusion, and then just drop the extrusions (but I'm probably dreaming). Perhaps this is an example of "havng your cake and eating it too". Seems like that could decrease the complexity of the family (at least for a non-parametric, i.e., static length, piece of strut), and eliminate some of the constraint problems.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If this is indeed a modular system I am assuming that the struts will be of a set incremental length correct? i.e. you won't want to have a piece with half a slot in it.
    Might I suggest that rather than creating the slots on the fly that you look at each piece as family that has the profile with the hole in it and that is what you nest into another family to create your full length of strut.
    (this seems much clearer in my head than the way it reads )

Login to Give a bone

That sounds like a reasonable suggestion, and I think I'll give it a try. I also found an instructional video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFs1...der&playnext=1

...that talks about building a ladder using parametric array method. Seems to be similar to what I'm doing (but without the problem of void extrusions). I'll report back with results.

Was I right to assume that the void extrusions are there forever? (both in the channel strut family AND in the project it's loaded into?).

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Almost there...

I created a parametric channel strut, where the number of slots equals strut length/ slot spacing. Works quite well, but I have two remaining probs:

1. I now have a strut with the proper number of slot void extrusions (in a group), but they refuse to cut the extrusion using the "cut" tool. When I choose cut, and pick the solid extrusion, followed by the slot void, the slot void cannot be chosen, so the cut never takes place.

2. When I load the strut into another family, it loads fine, but I can't get it to rotate, even though I choose "rotate after placement" . I think I removed all of the locks in the strut family (but I'll keep looking, maybe there's a constraint I missed).

Login to Give a bone

I solved the problem with the void extrusions. I guess that after you "cut" with them, they're gone. This seems to cut way back on processor power. Jpg image attached. I can vary length through an instance parameter.

I built the parametric strut using a segment that I "arrayed" (not attached).

Still haven't solved the "tilt" problem (want to tilt the strut to any angle I want), but I think I can do it by assigning an angle to the parametric array (or the segment that I created it from).

Only one more pesky problem: "joining" the segments programatically so that the lines disappear. I can do it manually, but not automatically.

Any suggestions on that one?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast