Thread: Clash Detection not picking up all clashes

Login to Give a bone

Default Clash Detection not picking up all clashes

I have a project that I ran clash detection on various models. The mechanical vs plumbing only detected a few clashes. As I started turning objects off to save the viewpoints for a presentation, I realized that there are other clashes that NW didn't pick up. I have attached a screen shot of my settings and viewpoint. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Clash Detection not picking up all clashes

Quote Originally Posted by civicduty View Post
    I have a project that I ran clash detection on various models. The mechanical vs plumbing only detected a few clashes. As I started turning objects off to save the viewpoints for a presentation, I realized that there are other clashes that NW didn't pick up. I have attached a screen shot of my settings and viewpoint. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Without having a LOT more information, I'd say you're looking at ductwork vs ductwork in your batch. The clashes appear to be ductwork vs steel and ductwork vs some kind of piping.

I'd also take a look at what rules you have set up to make sure some of the NW default rules aren't ignoring certain clashes.

First things first though, I'd definitely take a look at the batches and what selection sets you're using.

Example. If I have a batch with a selection set looking for a set of drawings that have duct in the name versus and a selection set that is looking for drawings that have steel in the name, that would only show duct versus steel.

Batches, selection sets, and rules are about the most complicated part of the NavisWorks Manage program.

First you have to admit you have a prob... no wait, wrong support group..

Without seeing everything involved, it's tricky to make a diagnosis on what's going on but, based on what I can see, you have duct vs duct in your batch and you're seeing piping vs steel and several other clashes that should be identified through other batches..

Hope that helps..
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

Paul, thanks for your response. I unchecked all the rules and reran the CD. It did detect the clashes. Interesting because I wouldn't think that any of the "Ignore Clashes Between" items would have been an issue since the models are exported to NWC as seperate files. The file names are no where near close to each other, nor do the objects have a hint of the same name. Oh well.Thanks for the heads up.

Login to Give a bone

Welcome to the dark and scary world of NavisWorks Rules.

The default rules that NWM will automagically populate include:

Items in same group/block/cell
    Items in same composite object
    Items in previously found pair of composite objects
    Items in coincident snap points
    Items in same layer

They tend to come back even after you delete them.

Unchecking those shouldn't have had an effect on the parts you were seeing that weren't showing as clashes though..

Let me ask you this. When you run your batches, are you using the batch tab and updating all or are you using the select tab and doing them individually??

Login to Give a bone

Paul, out of curiosity, what difference would it make whether he were updating all of the reports at the same time or updating them individually. Have you found there to be different results?? Thanks

Login to Give a bone

If he's doing them individually by using the select tab, he's not getting the rules that go with the batches.

For instance, I have rules to ignore HSS Steel (structural) hitting Doors (Arch). The steel holds the doors up in the wall so they've got to touch.

I might also have a rule to ignore electrical conduits touching cable trays.

If I selected the Arch vs Struc batch, the HSS Steel vs Doors rule would be checked while the electrical conduits vs cable trays wouldn't.

If I ran the whole update, the rules would work for the batches. However, if I selected the Arch vs Struc batch, then went to the select tab and ran it there, it would give me the correct results for Arch vs Struc. If I then selected Electrical vs Electrical and hit the start button, the rule for the cable trays wouldn't be active and they would show as clashes.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

If the files were initially created in Revit, then the "ignore items between objects in the same layer" rule messes things up. The Layer is the first level of the selection tree...coming from Revit this means that it is using the name of the level. The if the level names of the plumbing objects and the mechanical objects are identical, it will ignore the clashes between them (even though they are from different models).

Wacky...I ran into the same problem and this was my solution.

Login to Give a bone

Aren't selection sets awesome??