Thread: File Sharing Beyond FTP - Your Ideas Needed

I could stop if I wanted to CEHill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default File Sharing Beyond FTP - Your Ideas Needed

Since my company uses the services of various engineering consulting firms, we have a need to transfer files on a timely basis; making sure that the latest file versions are accessible.
    In the future, we will rely on electronic files transfer to a much greater degree.

Could you share your recommendations and/or general information about current and future file transfer technologies, workflows or any other related tips or initiatives at your company?
    Yours,

Clint
    Hill

------------------
    CAD Systems Operation and Management
    Chemical Plant Process + Mechanical Design Focus Areas

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: File Sharing Beyond FTP - Your Ideas Needed

Unless the server acting as the host is under your organization's control, you are placing your client's data (and your own proprietary information) at significant risk. Vendors will start waxing poetic about their Cloud Services -- but I have yet to see a ToS agreement that provides any protection to the users information, much less substantive penalties to the cloud provider. As long as the service provider has access to the machines or data, you have no security, and they are free to do a 'geeks gone wild' movie with whatever you've sent.

Now presuming that you can maintain control of the hardware, software, and connection, then the most useful application I've found to date was documentum's eRoom product, installed on my companie's hardware.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

We use Sharefile, we used to use Buzzsaw, but a home made FTP web site is the most secure, as you control the backups.
    Sharefile is here:-
    http://www.sharefile.com/

Login to Give a bone

Sharefile looks moderately interesting -- at least they seem to be able to spell security and put it front and center. Plus-es for that service are using SSL for all communications and enabling encryopted storage. I can't give them any points for storing client password as hashes, since that's just such a fundamental requirement. (odd that the Sony game network couldn't figure that out, and exposed customer data to hackers.)

I'll have to read their Terms of Service pretty carefully this weekend.

It would be nice to find a secure, friendly front end to safely transmit and host files that we could run on our own equipment,

EDIT: maybe not such a secure place to do business.... their pricing page came up with security certificate errors and content was blocked by MSIE

Login to Give a bone

I recently found M-Files document management system. They have a free version and a paid version. the paid version has a web interface. With the paid version, you could use the dms part internally and let your contractors use the web interface. Of course, you control their user rights.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    I recently found M-Files document management system. They have a free version and a paid version. the paid version has a web interface. With the paid version, you could use the dms part internally and let your contractors use the web interface. Of course, you control their user rights.
    Hi Ed,
    do you know if it can handle reference files at all? that seems to be the sticking poing with most document management systems. (the MSOffice user's have it so easy )

Login to Give a bone

I haven't finished my testing yet. I believe it can. They also have a plugin for acad for inserting files, etc.
    C:> ED WORKING....