See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Foundation Wall w/ Brick Ledge

Login to Give a bone

Default Foundation Wall w/ Brick Ledge

I am trying to get the first picture using stacked walls. Picture two and three are what Revit is giving me. How do I go about getting picture one?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to FOUTJM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Foundation Wall w/ Brick Ledge

if you are using the reveal tool to create your brick ledges. go into a 3d view and select the thicker wall and pick "modify returns" and set each end to 90 degrees. this should let you take the brick ledge around the ends of the wall. stacked wall method wont work in this case i dont think. you would probably have to use a void on the upper portion of the wall.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Create your foundation wall using two structural layers with different thicknesses (i.e. 8" for backup and 4" for shelf). Select the "Preview" button to expand the preview pane to the left. Change the view pulldown option to section. Zoom into the top of your wall in the preview pane. Select modify and select the top edge of the wall layer where you want the brick shelf. Unlock the line.

Now when you select the wall and edit its properties you will see and new instance parameter active called "Top Extension Distance". This will allow you to manipulate the extension distance of the wall edge you unlocked.

I could stop if I wanted to FOUTJM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

works pretty slick jcoe...thanks.

Login to Give a bone

I have been using FOUTJM method, which works great EXCEPT the Architect keeps moving walls (big surprise) which resets the modified returns of the walls that are changing..

I tried jcoe method but I have two problems with it,
    1) are you able to do returns like in the jpg I attached?
    2) I am getting a split line for the two structural layers in my section cuts. Is there I way to make a clean join of the two?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

You mean like this....

I still used the wall type I mentioned earlier, but to create the pilaster I had to take a different approach.

I created a structural foundation family with some instance parameters, placed this against the backup of the wall, used join geometry and was able to produce the desired affect.

aferrin - you are correct about the line between the layers. I do not believe there is a way to get rid of this aside from filled regions. The linework does not even seem to work in this case. I think if you use the stacked wall from your first post and the attached family, I think you can achieve the results you are looking for. Because the pilaster is now a family, you can lock it to the wall and it should stay constrained the next time the architect moves the walls.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks jcoe! I will give this a try.

Login to Give a bone

This is some good insight. Does anyone have a best practice for how to model a brick shelf that is stepped?

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Foundation Wall w/ Brick Ledge

Quote Originally Posted by mrice.47661 View Post
    This is some good insight. Does anyone have a best practice for how to model a brick shelf that is stepped?
    I was hoping someone had an easy way to do this??
    The only way I can think of is to use the stacked wall method and place the walls in sections where you can adjust the shelf height per section. On top of this I need to step the wall and footing, but keep the top of main wall same height.

Anyone have a better idea??

Thanks

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I posted a video about this topic at http://revitecture.blogspot.com/. The video is a bit grainy at full screen. I will try to fix it and repost.

The gist of the video is that I use the method described in my earlier post to create the brick ledge in the fndn wall. I also do the same unlocking of the wall layers for the wall. above. I then edited the elevation profile of the fndn wall>finish sketch. Now with the upper wall selected, choose "Attach Top/Base" from the Ribbon. Make sure "Base" is selected on your options bar. Choose the foundation wall. The upper wall should not follow the edited profile of the fndn wall - brick ledge and all. No need to split into multiple wall segments.