Thread: Electrical and Plumbing Rough-ins

I could stop if I wanted to jarod.tulanowski's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Electrical and Plumbing Rough-ins

I want to ask the question on how is everyone handling the electrical and plumbing rough-ins in Revit.
    I have a tag coming from a piece of equipment and the equipment number shows in it perfectly. My problem is that after I place that annotation symbol to the equipment. when I use the leader command it automatically sends it to the extents of the equipment sides. I also cant dimension to that leader. This I thought would be OK I will just do linework off the tag to the equipment rough-in location, (kind of fudging) but I cant even do this. the annotation symbol does not have a way of snapping to any part of it.

any suggestions on this.
    I have attached a demo of the family and annotation
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Electrical and Plumbing Rough-ins

This one must be a tough one, Any sugestions?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jarod.tulanowski
    , Any sugestions?
    I assume that you want the dimension line to change when the equipment is moved? or are you trying to dimension to a rough plumbing etc? Anyway, I think I understand. Use a line type that is a strong reference. On the attached family, I used an invisible line, coming off center front. dimension to that, then move the family. It looks like you are dimensioning to the leader, but you are actually tied to the invisible line that is in the family.

You can also try adding plumbing, waste, elec, etc as an object style in the family, making each a strong reference, then using visibility to control what is dimensioned on the plan view you are working with. See the attached image. As you move a piece of equipment the dimension strings will change.

Hope this will help get you started.

As to dimensioning to the leader line - I think this goes back Revit's philosophy of design. The only object that has information is the family. The tag is just a "descriptor" showing the information that is already in the project via the family it is tagging, so you don't want to dimension to the information, you want to dimension to the family. Boy that sounds screwy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SkiSouth; 2005-01-25 at 08:15 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Hmm I might have to rethink how we do things. but as for the current problem. this will solve the dimension issue, but it still does not convince my food service designer to use revit. he is still convinced that he can do it better in cad and then linked back into revit.

My issue is that if we go this route we will loose the inteligence of revit to keep the equipment tag consistant. here is a cad example of the way he does the rough-ins today. I still dont know how to keep the tag in the annotation and connect a leader from the unit to the annotation tag without fudging it.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Is this process automated for him in ACAD? - Or does he manually input this text - Could be a lisp routine, but I don't recall Acad having this type of ability (placing the text in the manner shown on a leader line).

Login to Give a bone

no it is just an annotation with a line connecting. no intelligence whatsoever. this is why I would like to pull at least the tag from revit.

What do you think of this? what if I create a family for the hot and the cold roughin, and draw a line from that object to the annotation pulled from the equipment. I know I cant connect the line directly to the tag, but atleast if I change the equipment number that number will change throughout the set.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I'll work on this later. Sorry, trying to finish up a little project to get some $$$. Anyway, I'd like to see your solution on this if you get to it first. I work with restaurant kitchens often, and this documentation side of the kitchen is very time consuming.

All AUGI, all the time eddy.lermytte's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hello
    Is it this what you are looking for ?
    I added in the family editor 2 reference lines and gave them a strong reference.
    On project level the reference lines show up once you hover over them.
    I wonder how a circular reference line act ... still have to find out that.

Eddy