Thread: Clash Detective - fast start

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Clash Detective - fast start

I'm new to NavisWorks - well been away for three years. I need to learn about the clash detective. I drew two objects that intersect each other in a model (you know, a clash!). I attempted to use the clash detective. No luck. I cannot get the clash detective to show the interference. I then resorted to the old "tried and true" method - when instructions dont work - just try a lot of buttons. I have been reading from several sources: the help file, this forum, Autodesk university CR-422-1. I have a couple of hours invested, I'm looking for a little payback.

Any advice how to start a simple model and show a clash, so I can work up from there?

Oh, NavisWorks Manage 2012

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Clash Detective - fast start

Quote Originally Posted by jplanaux View Post
    I'm new to NavisWorks - well been away for three years. I need to learn about the clash detective. I drew two objects that intersect each other in a model (you know, a clash!). I attempted to use the clash detective. No luck. I cannot get the clash detective to show the interference. I then resorted to the old "tried and true" method - when instructions dont work - just try a lot of buttons. I have been reading from several sources: the help file, this forum, Autodesk university CR-422-1. I have a couple of hours invested, I'm looking for a little payback.

Any advice how to start a simple model and show a clash, so I can work up from there?

Are the objects on separate layers?? Did you make batches for the different layers/objects?

Navisworks needs to have selection sets created before it knows what to run clashes on. If you have a duct in a drawing called duct, you'd need a selection set that looks for that drawing (call it duct). Then you could draw a pipe, save it as a drawing called pipe, then make a selection set called pipe.

Append both the drawings into the model.

Go into Clash Detective and make a batch, call it duct vs pipe. In the selection tab, on one side, select your duct drawing, on the other side select your pipe drawing.

Now you're ready to run your clash test.

That's the down and dirty way. IF you know how to make a selection set, you've won half the battle..

I actually wrote all that without even looking at the program... I need help. They say the first step to getting rid of a problem is admitting you have one..
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

No, the first step to getting rid of a problem is replying "Call Fred. He's the expert in these things."

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jplanaux View Post

Hi. Paul's input is awesome. Clash Detective can be a little funky at times. In general creating search or selections sets is a tried and true method if you want to get at the critical clashes quickly. A number of books discuss this. I also teach an online class every so often on just using the Clash Detective module in Navisworks, if you are interested.
    Regards,