Thread: Do Ribbon tools not use Layer Keys???

Login to Give a bone

Default Do Ribbon tools not use Layer Keys???

Perhaps this is a stupid question but how do I get the dims and mtext etc in the Ribbon tools to come in on the right layer and color just like I do with the tool pallets?
    I try to tell people in the office to use the tool pallet content because it is set up to our corp standards. However the Ribbon tools are right there in front of them but they are 'dumb' tools.
    We have a standard template file loaded by default with Layer Keys. Not sure why the Ribbon tools aren't using it.
    Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Do Ribbon tools not use Layer Keys???

are you running Architecture or MEP? if so, check that the Ribbon and tool palettes are using the same calle, eg AMEPPOWERDIM vs DIM

Login to Give a bone

Sorry, I don't follow. AMEPPOWERDIM ??? is that the macro I need to use?
    I am using AutoCAD Arch 2011.
    For example, I have regular 5/65th Annotative MTEXT on the pallet. Under the properties for that tool I link it to a Layer Key ANNOBJ which brings it in on A-ANNO-NOTE Layer.
    I can't seem to find that type of properties to apply to the MTEXT that are either on the Ribbon or available for the Ribbon in the CUI editor.
    Thanks

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Tool Palettes and the CUIX are as different as night & day. All the Ribbons, Workspaces, Menus, Toolbars, etc... are stored in the CUIX. The Tool Palettes are seperate files that work completely different.

Login to Give a bone

I understand that they are different but why can't the content on the Ribbon use Layer Keys. If I use AEC content from the Ribbon it will come in on the right layer etc. But what about MTEXT and Dims? Why can't they be linked to Layer Keys?

Login to Give a bone

FWIW -

Non-Aec* entities = AutoCAD entities... AutoCAD entities can be placed on any layer.

If only specific entities (inserted when you use a Ribbon button) are to be placed on a specific layer, then consider either setting a specific layer current then restoring original layer post-insert, or simply insert a block (saved to the network?) and explode it.

If all DIMs are to be placed on the same layer, then I'd recommend using a Command Reactor. This is what we use in our deployments, which automagically place all MVIEWs, XREFs, Images, PDFs, etc. come in on the right layer(s) without any user action (other than the insert/attachment command, etc.).

If you're not adept at coding Visual LISP Reactors, Lee Mac has a really good one you can use as a starting point (linked -->): Layer Director

Quote Originally Posted by www.Lee-Mac.com, Layer Director

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kyle.martens View Post
    I understand that they are different but why can't the content on the Ribbon use Layer Keys. If I use AEC content from the Ribbon it will come in on the right layer etc. But what about MTEXT and Dims? Why can't they be linked to Layer Keys?
    So - why use the ribbon?
    (rhetorical question)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RenderMan View Post
    FWIW -

Non-Aec* entities = AutoCAD entities... AutoCAD entities can be placed on any layer.

If only specific entities (inserted when you use a Ribbon button) are to be placed on a specific layer, then consider either setting a specific layer current then restoring original layer post-insert, or simply insert a block (saved to the network?) and explode it.

If all DIMs are to be placed on the same layer, then I'd recommend using a Command Reactor. This is what we use in our deployments, which automagically place all MVIEWs, XREFs, Images, PDFs, etc. come in on the right layer(s) without any user action (other than the insert/attachment command, etc.).

If you're not adept at coding Visual LISP Reactors, Lee Mac has a really good one you can use as a starting point (linked -->): Layer Director

HTH
    LayerKeys are a different concept -- rather like description keys with civil points. but extended to other objects - similar to the old softdesk tools. This lets an AA user change between standards readily by pointing to a different layerkey file. Client "A" wants all dimension entities on A-ANNO-DIMS, client "B" wants "DIMS", client C uses the British standards. By pointing the Arch dwg to the various layer key files, the same command handles the changes automagically without user intervention.

Bascially abstracting the layer away from the entitiy, and getting a step closer to a 'project' concept in CAD. By identifying the command used in the tool palette, the OP ought to be able to modify the Ribbon to call the 'special' Arch dimension command the can use Layer Keys. I don't have Autodesk Architecture handy to check, so that's theoretical.

Reactors are great, but LayerKeys add a lot of flexibility to cad management, without needing to get into programming. They do take some setting up for each set of standards, but after that it's easy(er) to rock and roll with different requirements.

Login to Give a bone

Interesting... I just CONDitionally evaluate the active profile for the predefined layers that my reactor(s) implement. Thanks for the info though.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

"Layer keys" are very similar to what I've implemented here, although without reactors for the most part. We have any number of clients to support, with multiple applications. No way that was going to fly with umpteen different profiles, so instead I adopted a nmemonic naming system for the various things needed to be standardized. For example, the code calls for the layer nmemonic "TEXT-MEDIUM" and depending on the active client the appropriate layer name is returned.