Thread: Block Scale Factor

I could stop if I wanted to de-co1's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Block Scale Factor

Hello All,

LT2012

I've been working on a drawing with an Xref'd grid containing grid lines and Steel columns. I noticed that the one column type is not the size it should be yet the scale factor is set to 1.

Instead of a dimension of 209.6, it is measuring 209.59999990, and 205.8 measures 205.79999995.

This happens with all my Universal beams and columns, but with no other block.

When I insert these into a new drawing, they're fine, it's just with these particular drawings. And when I edit them in the Block Editor, they measure fine.

Anyone come across this and knows how to remedy it.

TIA

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Block Scale Factor

Obvious answer is that the entities in the Block are off that miniscule amount.

Have you tried redefining the Block in the file that is causing problems?
    Are these Dynamic Blocks by chance?

Login to Give a bone

I completely redrew the block of a steel universal column. Only a polyline and not dynamic. I've just completed a test on this too where I inserted the block into a blank drawing. Measurements are perfect. Copied it around a few times and still perfect.

I then deleted these columns in the file I want to insert this block into, and purged that drawing completely, copied the information using a window (not crossing) and pasted this into the new drawing with the perfect block. Then the dimensions of the block changed again.

The grid is positioned according to world coordinates.

I discovered that the measurements change when I move the block to the WCS locations, but as soon as I move it back to my 0,0 origin, the dimensions revert back to the correct size.

And when I move it to a point midway between 0,0 and the grid layout, the dimensions change by a factor of 0.00000001.

So, the block change size the further away from 0,0.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Z problem here too perhaps?

Login to Give a bone

Z-coordinates of all points in the block itself as well as the drawing it is inserted into, are 0...

I drew a rectangle around the block while it was positioned at 0,0, moved both to the world coordinate location, and the rectangle changed in measured dimension too. But the rectangle didn't change if a drew it next to the block?!

Login to Give a bone

Edit the block insertion, highlight the "1.000000" and type "1" and hit enter - do it for x, y and z values. Any change?

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It happens when drawing is too far from the origin. There's a good explanation here in AUGI that have something to do with the limited number of decimal points (accuracy) and the program using trigonometric functions. Just search if you need it but that won't solve your problem.
    Try not to draw too far from the origin or draw in meters instead of millimeters (getting rid of three 0's).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by de-co1 View Post
    Hello All,

Instead of a dimension of 209.6, it is measuring 209.59999990, and 205.8 measures 205.79999995.
    Make certain you are not pasting this into and you are inserting the block.

Sounds suspicsiously(sp) like a rounding error. Could be hardware related (processor) Try another machine with diff. specs.

Just suggestions, let us know. It's a nail-biter.

Login to Give a bone

@Jaberwok: I did try that with no luck.

@arshiel88: I can recall reading about this before, but wasn't able to find anything about it again, but if it is a case of what you suggest, then there doesn't appear to be anyway around it other than changing the Units. Unfortunately I cannot do that because the industry draws in millimetres.

@davidmatyas: I was inserting my block. But doing it either way doesn't make a difference.

It as arshiel88 pointed out... where it has to do with the distance from the Origin, which is also something we cannot really change as we are drawing in World Coordinates which forms part of our QA.

Thanks for all your thoughts.