Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wish I could set the drawing units per each work space by discipline.

Wish List Administration

Default I wish I could set the drawing units per each work space by discipline.

Summary: I wish that I could pre-set the drawing units for each of my work space disciplines so that when I change work spaces the drawing units are already set for that Discipline.

Description: Hi, tired of setting your units each time you start a new session/drawing? I am and so is everyone else. Autodesk gave us the ability to creat and or modify work spaces. The only problem is they gave us something that is incomplete. At the last University I brought this up and was shrugged off so here goes. If I set up a work space I set it up by discipline. Architectural, mechanical, civil, it doesn't matter. Each uses a differant scale. So, I ask is why autodesk didn't give the option to set up the units in the work space setup?This way I could preset all my work spaces with the units, tools, menus etc... for that discipline.

See where i'm gong with this?

If I make an Architectural Work space I should be able to pre-set the units for that discipline so every time I use that work space it uses the correct units. Or if I want to create a new drawing using the mechanical work space it uses that disciplines units. This seems to be an idea that can kill the redundant task of setting up units each time you change disciplines
    or create a new drawing.

Product & Feature: AutoCAD

Submitted: Fri, 17 Feb 2012

AUGI Addict

Default Re: I wish I could set the drawing units per each work space by discipline.

Workspaces are a user-interface setting, they control which UI elements are shown or hidden. Drawing units (well, linear unit settings anyways...) are stored in each drawing. Each project would have units set as part of the project standards (for us, everything in millimeters). One group would not be working in inches, another feet, and a third meters. The units assigned to any given drawing don't enter into the screen locations of palettes, ribbon panels, etc. - likely the reason behind the "shrugged off" answer you recieved.

There is also a bit of a problem with the all-in-one approach. Trying to load all the tools down the single "pipe" of a single AutoCAD, even through demand-loading, is too much. Users are usually focused on a single set of disciplines: grade designers don't need structural design tools, structural designers will never need piping isometric tools. So they create workspaces oriented towards their tasks, such as 3D model manipulation, drawing annotation, and the like.

There are already several configurable mechanisms in AutoCAD for controlling drawing units, starting with DWT templates and continuing through scripts, action recorder macros, LISP programming, managed dotNET, and even unmanaged dotNET/ObjectARX.

Default Re: I wish I could set the drawing units per each work space by discipline.

A wish is to impose a suggestion to streamline and improve the product nothing more nothing less. Second, if people would read wishes more closely, not mentioning names (dgorsman) he would have noticed I never suggested the all in one approach. I was very clear about, "PER EACH DISCIPLINE". It would be ignorant to use tools that don't support the discipline at hand. So to even suggest this would be ignorant. I have to deal with every discipline and this is why I made a suggestion that is not only already being used in Civil-3D but can be implimented in all products. Why maintain 25 templates when the Workspace can be the mechanism to impose rules for the discipline the work space is made for? So lets not be defensive and so narrow minded
    and search for solutions that benefit all not just the few.

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: I wish I could set the drawing units per each work space by discipline.

I wish I could set the drawing units per each work space by discipline.

Summary: I wish that I could pre-set the drawing units for each of my work space disciplines so that when I change work spaces the drawing units are already set for that Discipline.

Description: Hi, tired of setting your units each time you start a new session/drawing? I am and so is everyone else. Autodesk gave us the ability to creat and or modify work spaces. The only problem is they gave us something that is incomplete. At the last University I brought this up and was shrugged off so here goes. If I set up a work space I set it up by discipline. Architectural, mechanical, civil, it doesn't matter. Each uses a differant scale. So, I ask is why autodesk didn't give the option to set up the units in the work space setup?This way I could preset all my work spaces with the units, tools, menus etc... for that discipline.

If I make an Architectural Work space I should be able to pre-set the units for that discipline so every time I use that work space it uses the correct units. Or if I want to create a new drawing using the mechanical work space it uses that disciplines units. This seems to be an idea that can kill the redundant task of setting up units each time you change disciplines
    or create a new drawing.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - DWG

Submitted By: Allen Closson on Wed, 13 Jun 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AutoCAD-AL View Post
    Why maintain 25 templates when the Workspace can be the mechanism to impose rules for the discipline the work space is made for?
    Why and when would you require 25 templates related to units?
    You're either going to choose between millmetres and metres or between inches and feet and inches.

don't forget feet and decimal feet! civil & survey don't do inches

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: I wish I could set the drawing units per each work space by discipline.

or create a new drawing.

Submitted By: Allen Closson on 02/17/2012

Wish List Administration

or create a new drawing.

Wish List Administration

or create a new drawing.

Wish List Administration

or create a new drawing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast