Thread: Inserting OLEs from Excel into AutoCAD 2004, each one comes in a different scale

Login to Give a bone

Question Inserting OLEs from Excel into AutoCAD 2004, each one comes in a different scale

Hey all,
    Have been having trouble inserting OLEs from EXCEL into 2004, finally gave up and started copying them from in EXCEL then pasting them 'Special" as Autocad entities in model space. My problem is that the scale is changing from one file to the next. If the files are the same in EXCEL shouldn't they paste into CAD at the same scale? Am I missing something real basic here?
    Thanks
    Kevin

I could stop if I wanted to scwegner's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inserting OLEs from Excel into AutoCAD 2004, each one comes in a different scale

Quote Originally Posted by kleenhippie
    Hey all,
    Have been having trouble inserting OLEs from EXCEL into 2004, finally gave up and started copying them from in EXCEL then pasting them 'Special" as Autocad entities in model space. My problem is that the scale is changing from one file to the next. If the files are the same in EXCEL shouldn't they paste into CAD at the same scale? Am I missing something real basic here?
    Thanks
    Kevin
    Yeah, it kinda sucks. It's not going to happen because AutoCAD doesn't recognize the Excel page size as units. Instead, and I could be wrong about this, it seems to insert them as a percentage of window size or something like that. I generally try to insert them all at once so that the zoom is the same. There are also a bunch of external programs out there that may help you out.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Inserting OLEs from Excel into AutoCAD 2004, each one comes in a different scale

OK, makes sense. I'll give that a try, they are panel schedules and I have an awful lot of them to get in. Any other suggestions are apprieciated.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inserting OLEs from Excel into AutoCAD 2004, each one comes in a different scale

Hi

Is the command OLESCALE of any use?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

I've never used it Mike, would it work on a pasted AutoCAD entity? I had given up on inserting as OLEs because I kept getting an extra column on each grid. It was set up right in EXCEL but AutoCAD insisted on putting that extra column there.That was in PaperSpace, I couldn't get it them to cooperate in model space at all. Was losing alot of time so this pasting has been working, though it's a pain in the butt.

Login to Give a bone

Hi

No it's only good for OLE Objects.

Personally I very rarely use OLE Objects within AutoCAD.

I know this doesn't help you, but I can say AutoCAD 2005 has finally made some real improvements on how it handles OLE Objects (though for some of the functionality you also need to be running Windows XP & Office XP (might even be 2003, sorry can't quite remember off the top of my head).

Have a good one, Mike
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2005-03-10 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Poor grammar again!