Thread: Training

Login to Give a bone

Question Training

Hello-

I am still learning Revit Structure & the engineer is wanting to show things differently in plan view than I know how to do. I have a small clouded area where I have drawn the plywood sheathing that sits on top of the trusses. They want to see the trusses under that clouded area hidden. I have another area with 2x6 over framing over the trusses & they want to see the parts of the trusses under the 2x6's in that area hidden as well. Is there any training any where that teaches how to do this?? I have not found any & I have no idea what I need to do & was hoping I could maybe get some help on this???

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Training

Hi Narwlee,

Without knowing more about your particular situation my suggestion would be to use a masking region in the clouded area and then use drafting lines to fill in the remaining information. You'll find both of those tools on the Annotations tab. If you make the masking region first you can then draw drafting lines on top of it to show the 2x6 framing.

Granted this is a drafting workaround where we find the complexity of the model visually complex in plan view. Another more BIMy option would be to make a callout of that area and make the callout area only as big as the clouded portion, turn off the trusses in that callout view and do whatever additional annotation you need in the callout. Then you could place that callout right on the drawing next to the clouded area, or put it on a detail sheet/sketch (sounds like you're in addendum-land). That way you don't have to try and fight the model; it's a different style of approach to communicating the same information.

Hope one of those ideas strikes a chord or someone else has an even better suggestion.
    Cheers

I could stop if I wanted to scowsert's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It sounds to me like you might want the linework tool. Search in the help menu for it.

Another thing to note is that trusses don't show up under a roof or floor. I'm not sure why imho... this is a bug but its been there from the get go so I guess the factory is ok with a truss not behaving like a structural member. Trusses structural? Nah...

I could stop if I wanted to FOUTJM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

i would explain to the engineer that whatever you do its going to be a workaround of sorts and cost you time and focus that you should be spending on modeling the structure correctly.

but other than that i would use the linework tool, unless its just portions of trusses you wish to show hidden. in that case you may have to resort to overlaying two views as suggested first(which i dont like to do). a really dumb way around that would be to hide the trusses in view and draw detail lines(yuk).