See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: fonts in linetypes

Login to Give a bone

Default fonts in linetypes

Is there a way to adjust text width factor in a linetype. This is so that the font used in linetype matches text style format, in our case romans font @ 0.75 width factor. Our QC checker is very picky about this. The workaround has been using continuous linetype overall, placing text and breaking lines... Quite a kludge & not very elegant when revisions occur.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: fonts in linetypes

Hi

Below snippet is from the AutoCAD Online Help File [F1] -

Contents tab -> AutoCAD Online Manuals -> Customization Guide -> Linetypes and Hatch Patterns -> Linetype Definition Files -> Complex Linetypes -> Text in Complex Linetypes

<snip>
    style

The name of the text style to be elaborated. The specified text style must be included. If it is omitted, use the currently defined style.
    </snip>

+

Check out the following thread (especially take not of any links within) -

Custom Linetype

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Perry
    Hi

Below snippet is from the AutoCAD Online Help File [F1] -

Contents tab -> AutoCAD Online Manuals -> Customization Guide -> Linetypes and Hatch Patterns -> Linetype Definition Files -> Complex Linetypes -> Text in Complex Linetypes

<snip>
    style

The name of the text style to be elaborated. The specified text style must be included. If it is omitted, use the currently defined style.
    </snip>

+

Check out the following thread (especially take not of any links within) -

Custom Linetype

Have a good one, Mike
    I have studied all help files & references, to no avail. There does not seem to be a way to give text in a linetype a "width factor" other than 1.00, so I guess the old workaround remains...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bkl
    I have studied all help files & references, to no avail. There does not seem to be a way to give text in a linetype a "width factor" other than 1.00, so I guess the old workaround remains...
    Hi

I believe you right. I have just carried out a few tests and searched the web a little, it definitely look like the "Width Factor" of the Text Style is ignored within Complex Linetypes (I live and learn).

As a workaround you could create you own Shapes or Font file (with the necessary "Width Factor" applied / built-in) then use them within your Complex Linetypes.

Have a good one, Mike
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2005-09-10 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Correct poor grammar.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Are you not talking about modifying the line types in the acad.lin file?

I've created linetypes with fonts within the line and if you set the text style to "Standard" and adjust the "S=x" factor in the line type (mine is set to 0.1 which gives me a plotted text height of 3/32"). Set "Standard" in the style manager to a text height of zero (0), then while drawing lines your linetype scale is in control.

If not, then I'm not sure.

Ted

Login to Give a bone

As I stated originally, it is the width factor associated with fonts that is missing in the linetype definition and this should be added by autodesk to the complex linetype definition files. As it is defining unique one of a kind fonts as a workaround precludes having clean collaboration with clients & vendors unless we all remember to always include these unique fonts with every dwg sent...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: fonts in linetypes

Could you compile a shape file and use it in your new line type? Check the AutoCAD Help files under COMPILE SHX and SHP.
    Last edited by Rick.B; 2005-02-19 at 03:01 AM.

I could stop if I wanted to LanceMcHatton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have also been trying to figure out a way to change the width factor but only because the text doesn't like to wrap around corners very well (with Linetype Generation enabled). What I finally figured out may help others.

I wanted my text to read "BASE PT-2" which is longer than the usual "E" or "W" that others would use. I figured out that "BASE PT-2" didn't have to be one piece of text, that it could be broken down into separate letters "B" "A" "S" "E" " " "P" "T" "-" "2". That way, it wraps fairly well around corners. Here's the code I used:

*BASE PT-2,BASE PT-2 ----BASE PT-2----BASE PT-2----BASE PT-2----BASE PT-2----BASE PT-2----BASE PT-2----
    A,.2,-.15,["B",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.1,["A",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.1,["S",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.1,["E",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.1,[" ",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.1,["P",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.1,["T",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.1,["-",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.1,["2",STANDARD,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.05