See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: AIA Form E202

Login to Give a bone

Default AIA Form E202

Can we talk!......... (arms on hips)

I am staring at E202 and wondering "should we do this?" on a new project that is very important to our firm. I would like to hear from people who have and have not, and the consequences. The client, a government agency, has given us a BIM Guideline that goes to LOD 400.

I have done probably 6 projects in Revit already, from the impossibly large (World Trade Center) to the miniscule (my own kitchen). Some of them went as far as CDs (LOD 300), but most did not.

I am currently comparing the client's BIM Guidelines to their Design Guidlines searching for BIM requirements that are over and above the Design requirements. LOD 400 is the 800 pound Gorilla I have already found, but I suspect there are a lot of 300 pound gorillas hiding the bushes, er.....the BIM Guidelines.

There was a lot of talk about E202 when it came out in 2008, but I haven't heard much talk lately.

Any comments?

I could stop if I wanted to bbeck's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AIA Form E202

I use the E202 docs as a starting point for discussions. It helps me reign in the bosses and keeps them focused. To me it really boils down to client expectations. If you're dealing with some outside agency and they have their standards, the Veterans Administration for example, you're going to need to address their guidelines. With more and more clients expecting your BIM to be used by their Facilities people we are going to see the "gorilla" jump on our backs.

Login to Give a bone

I have also been reviewing the E202 lately and I have found one major discrepancy and that is the definition of "LOD". Many people in our industry call it Level of Detail, however the definition in E202 calls it Level of Development. I have also seen client BIM requirement documents that define LOD as Level of Detail. Some people use these interchangeably however personally I think these are 2 very different meanings and should require 2 separate definitions. Does anyone have any comments on this issue?
    Last edited by Hopper88; 2012-04-23 at 03:33 PM.

Login to Give a bone

E202 is one of many documents that need to be taken into consideration and it helps to take it in context with them. You'll want to look at he Penn State BIM Execution Plans to get a better idea of the goal setting you'll need to do along with the object element matrix you'll want to figure out. I tend to throw E202 out the window because it is very vague and not well defined yet - on it's own.

Who's the big client with the BIM requirements?

Login to Give a bone

The E202 was also developed 4 years ago. Processes, and terminology has changed in the industry since then so you're right, it does need some adjusting and tweaking. Do you define LOD in your documents?

Quote Originally Posted by ghale View Post
    Who's the big client with the BIM requirements?
    This is for a project out in California, however I cannot disclose the name. I've also worked on a project for the GSA which also had specific BIM requirements.

Login to Give a bone

Many companies now require BIM and have many docs to explain what is required. State of WI and State on Indiana both required BIM and have developed a BIM guideline. Problem is they also tell you that they want an Autocad version of their record drawings done in their standard.

I could stop if I wanted to bbeck's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Many companies now require BIM and have many docs to explain what is required. State of WI and State on Indiana both required BIM and have developed a BIM guideline. Problem is they also tell you that they want an Autocad version of their record drawings done in their standard.
    Whew! I'm glad we closed up our Purdue location a few years ago. HAH! meeting both standards would be a pain.

Login to Give a bone

We're not using the LoD at all because it does not really address the milestones or deliverables? I've developed a matrix with some other BIM managers that has many similarities to an Object Element Matrix, but addresses things that I believe are necessary for organization while keeping things simple.
    1)BIM Use Cases need to be established as project goals. The Penn State BIM PxP is a good guide for this. Use cases are being reviewed by a couple national committees for updates
    2) project milestones need to be developed and the BIM Use Cases should be applied to the milestone deliverables
    3) objects to be delivered shall be defined and mapped to a milestone. These shall be modeled to the extent that they support the use case
    4) the organizational chart shall be setup per discipline to fit in with a typical project workflow

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ghale View Post
    I've developed a matrix with some other BIM managers that has many similarities to an Object Element Matrix, but addresses things that I believe are necessary for organization while keeping things simple.
    Any chances you'd be willing to post this document?