Thread: Java?

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Java?

I think that using Java or some other programming language that is a little more universal than using VB. I know that Cad generally only runs on Windows (except that one release on mac). If there is already I am sorry. I just know that I already have so many languages in my head that learning another might make me cringe.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Java?

If you can do Java, you can do C#. Virtually identical with only a few minor differences.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, This is true, But only if the call ups are at the lower level. Thanks didn't think about that

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I'd have +1'd earlier, but I'm with dgorsman on this. Java is a easier language than C++ for the programmer, but C# is ever so slightly easier than Java (not much but just). On the other hand Java tends to be more portable than DotNet - no matter what M$ tries to say.

I'm not sure if efficiency of program itself is of essence to you, in which case Java & C# is again not too different elsewhere (so I'd imagine not much different here either). Both still simply "compile" to bytecode and then "interpret" those bytecodes at runtime. Both uses a JIT compiler at runtime to try and improve efficiency. But both still are a lot slower running than a decently written C++ program.

All that said, there is already an attempt to at least link to ACad's ActiveX using Java: http://sourceforge.net/projects/java4autocad/?_test=b

And if you don't mind linking through DotNet (at least you'd get a more comprehensive list of functions), try using the JNBridge.

Actually for me, I'd still want to stick with Lisp. Just so long as ADesk could pull their fingers and upgrade it to match one of the more evolved Common Lisp / Scheme dialects. Then also get a decent built-in compiler (some of those actually convert to C code and then use a GNU-C compiler to turn into native code). That would make the proggies near the C++ optimization level.

Alternatively Python might be nice, but AFAIK it's not as efficient as Lisp - and not entirely consistent syntax either. BTW, there is an attempt at linking to Python through DotNet: http://through-the-interface.typepad...h-autocad.html

Login to Give a bone

I know C++ and C as well I just know java better is all. I was just wondering because of the portability and the fact Java is so widely used.