Thread: AutoCAD 2012 - 64bit Windows 7 Memory Issue

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD 2012 - 64bit Windows 7 Memory Issue

Hello AUGI Members,

Our company deployed AutoCAD 2012 on Windows 7 workstations in a 64bit environment with 8gigs of memory. We have noticed the performance was not great to begin with and there seems to be a memory leak because after working a while with multiple drawings the system slows down dramatically and eventually AutoCAD crashes. Is this a know issue with AutoCAD 2012....?? Is there a fix for this....??

The overall performance is so poor that we are thinking to installing AutoCAD 2013 to see if there is any improvement.....!

Has anyone experienced similar results....?? Is there a better solution....?? Can anyone please provide some help....??

Best Regards,
    Vince

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD 2012 - 64bit Windows 7 Memory Issue

Quote Originally Posted by vferrara View Post
    Hello AUGI Members,

Our company deployed AutoCAD 2012 on Windows 7 workstations in a 64bit environment with 8gigs of memory. We have noticed the performance was not great to begin with and there seems to be a memory leak because after working a while with multiple drawings the system slows down dramatically and eventually AutoCAD crashes. Is this a know issue with AutoCAD 2012....?? Is there a fix for this....??

The overall performance is so poor that we are thinking to installing AutoCAD 2013 to see if there is any improvement.....!

Has anyone experienced similar results....?? Is there a better solution....?? Can anyone please provide some help....??

Best Regards,
    Vince
    Hmm, not that it's any help, but, I have been running AutoCAD 2012 on a win7 (64) machine for well over a year and have not had any trouble with it crashing, even when having multiple large drawings open at once...

Is there anything special about the drawing contents? (I did hear about a documented memory leak with Revit 2012, but, it was definitely associated with the use of pointclouds)
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

FWIW - We too work in Windows 7 64-Bit, using Land Desktop 2009, Civil 3D 2011, Civil 3D 2012, and MEP 2012... but we've installed 16 GB RAM, and 2 GB (min) Video Cards. We are not experiencing the behavior you mention here.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for your response....!

We are a structural engineering firm and there should be nothing unusual about our drawings. They vary in size but the average file is approximately 2-3 MB's. Our engineers like to open 3-5 drawings at the same time (some of them from architectural consultants) and go back and forth between the open drawing files......this is where we see the biggest memory loss. I also have batch routines the can process many drawings and when the routine starts the performance is very good however, as it opens and closes the drawing files you can see a noticable slowdown (after 15 - 20 drawings) in the time it takes to open each drawing file and do its thing.

We do have a few workstations with 16 gigs of memory and the performance on these machines is better but we can still see the performance slowdown as drawing files are opened and then closed. The only thing I failed to mention before is that we are using AutoCAD Architecture 2012 not vanilla AutoCAD......but I do not think that should make a difference.

Everyone in the company is complaining about the poor performance on the Windows 7 64 bit workstations compared to the old Windows XP 32 bit workstations they were using before.

We need to do something but I am not sure what.....??

Best Regards,
    Vince

Login to Give a bone

It may be a Win_7 problem rather than an acad one.
    Check that Windows can actually use all the available RAM; messages like "8 Gb RAM (3.8 Gb available)" are not unusual.
    See my thread "A little story" in this forum.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RenderMan View Post
    FWIW - We too work in Windows 7 64-Bit, using Land Desktop 2009, Civil 3D 2011, Civil 3D 2012, and MEP 2012... but we've installed 16 GB RAM, and 2 GB (min) Video Cards. We are not experiencing the behavior you mention here.
    or 256 Mb ram video card -- that's all IT claims we need to have. pos optiplex crud $%^&ragn snargl freglin !@$

However, back to the OP:

Personal experience suggests that Adesk has numerous memory leaks, and does not do a great job of freeimg memory up when it's no longer really used. Generally I find it expedient to either kill Acad periodically, reboot over lunch, or wait for it to hang and then crash.

Probably a good idea to kill commcenter -- see http://otb.manusoft.com/2012/03/turn...tocad-2013.htm for a how-to.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    or 256 Mb ram video card -- that's all IT claims we need to have. pos optiplex crud $%^&ragn snargl freglin !@$
    Your group is larger, and shafted you guys when equipment purchases took place after acquisition... When's the last time you checked the Desktop/Notebook Computer Quotation form(s) on the Intra-web?

Currently the US Desktop ('CAD System') is 1GB VC standard, and the US Notebooks (15.6, and 17-inch 'Performance Laptops') come with 2GB Mobile VC's... each of which are able to upgraded at the time of purchase.

/offtopic
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I've noticed/experienced similar issues and found that as long as I restart over lunch things go well. The other day it was absurdly slow and I noticed a gigantic memory hog (acad.exe); Windows 7, 64 bit.