See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Duct Insulation not Hiding with Duct?

Login to Give a bone

Default Duct Insulation not Hiding with Duct?

Hi,
    Since Insulation changed slightly in 2012 and 2013, we have noticed a strange visibility issue when 'hiding by element' on a duct with insulation, in that the duct itself hides in the view, but the insulation remains visible, and you cannot select it or hide it (unless you hide by category.)

anyone else noticed?

We often hide by element in varuos views when working, and this makes it very difficult now.

Thanks
    Graeme

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Duct Insulation not Hiding with Duct?

You are correct, and I guess it is all in how you look at it, whether it is a feature or bug.

http://appliedsoftwareblog.blogspot....-ductpipe.html

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

In order to hide a duct's insulation, first select the duct or duct run you wish to hide, click "Edit Insulation", and then the insulation will become selected. You can now hit "EH" or click "Hide Elements". But the visibility of the insulation should really be dependent upon the host duct element...

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dennis howell View Post
    You are correct, and I guess it is all in how you look at it, whether it is a feature or bug.

http://appliedsoftwareblog.blogspot....-ductpipe.html

Well I guess, if you have the option to have it either way, then it is a feature. If you don't, it is a bug. Is that a fair comment?

Login to Give a bone

Great, Thanks for the help, i doubt i would have found the 'edit insulation' ''work round'' (as i see it)

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

This seems to work well for on-the-spot views where you want to temporarily - or permanently - hide the ducts. However, if you have insulated ducts on phases, the insulation doesn't respond to the typical graphical conventions for phased objects...it's just THERE. Does anyone have any suggestions for a workaround for this?

Feature, my fanny - this is a bug!

-Crawford

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.c View Post
    Well I guess, if you have the option to have it either way, then it is a feature. If you don't, it is a bug. Is that a fair comment?
    If you hide a duct or a pipe before insulation, there is no way to select insulation after on the view. So this is definitly a very annoying bug.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I was working on this issue for a current project and thought I would post in case new Revit users are still having trouble with this issue.

The easiest way I found to fix this problem was to use filters. For instance, I have a mechanical penthouse where the I have several different model elevations and I need to control the graphics to provide the proper display in my views. I can select the systems I want to control (ductwork, insulation, piping, equipment, etc) and add a unique tag to the element. Please note, you need to "edit the ductwork insulation" in order to add this unique tag to the insulation system itself. This can be done in the element's property window, under "identity data" and the "comments" category.

For this instance, I identified the applicable elements with the tag "WELL" under the "comment" field for systems that were located in a mechanical service well. These were elements that should not be showing in my typical penthouse view, but were appearing anyway due to the view range limitations. Once the elements are tagged with a unique identifier, you can edit the View Template to create a specific filter that recognizes this unique property.

Filter Rule -> "Comments" - "contains" - "WELL".

Now you can control any of the display properties for these elements (including visibility, line weights/pattern, surface patterns, transparency, etc) using the filter. This is a much cleaner and easier solution than manually overriding the graphics in every affected view.