Thread: Action Recorder save as to VB or C#

Wish List Administration

Default Action Recorder save as to VB or C#

Summary: Allow saving Action Recorded macros to VB or C#.

Description: Allow saving Action Recorded macros to VB or C#. This would allow quicker customization and give developers a jump start on creating customizations with .NET

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - API

Submitted By: Kevin Kosak on Mon, 23 Apr 2012

AUGI Addict

Default Re: Action Recorder save as to VB or C#

dotNET is pretty complex, and I suspect the Action Recorder storage mechanism is much closer to conventional scripting. I'd rather see it produce an XML metadata file describing the steps taken, plus (possibly) an Action Recorder API for dotNET for more complex manipulation. That way the XML content can be consumed by other operations, including LISP and manual tweaking and possibly even direct consumption by the new core console, and also be available from common network locations (unlike DLL; yes, I know about CASPOL but poking holes in the security for the sake of convenience isn't a good idea).

What I was referring to would be something similar to what MS Office has called "Record Macro". "Record Macro" currently records to VBA format, which I beleive is considered obsolete. So, the next generation of such a utility seems to me would be to record to .NET VB or C#. Keep in mind users would not have to modifiy the .NET code but could.

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Action Recorder save as to VB or C#

Action Recorder save as to VB or C#

Description: Allow saving Action Recorded macros to VB or C#. This would allow quicker customization and give developers a jump start on creating customizations with .NET

Submitted By: Kevin Kosak on Tue, 12 Jun 2012

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Hi, That is a big wish for me as well. I need to automate things in CAD, but I have to record them first.

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    dotNET is pretty complex, and I suspect the Action Recorder storage mechanism is much closer to conventional scripting. I'd rather see it produce an XML metadata file describing the steps taken, plus (possibly) an Action Recorder API for dotNET for more complex manipulation. That way the XML content can be consumed by other operations, including LISP and manual tweaking and possibly even direct consumption by the new core console, and also be available from common network locations (unlike DLL; yes, I know about CASPOL but poking holes in the security for the sake of convenience isn't a good idea).
    Not a big fan of this wish personally, as there's just too much variation of namespace qualification (within the body of code), etc to be 'usable' to my mind, and would entirely go against Autodesk's efforts to 'push' apps via Exchange.

That said, regarding local/network assemblies - if you're still using .NET 4 (as I believe 4.5 supports this inherently, but have not intentionally tested for this since C3D 2011), just use LoadFromRemoteSources Attribute as Kean mentions here back in 2011:

http://through-the-interface.typepad...ith-net-4.html

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

AUGI Addict

'Tis the season for necromancy

Need to have DLLs local here, otherwise if any computer is running some of them would be locked "open" by the system and couldn't be replaced. Can't go around to computers to manually kick people out as we have multiple buildings across the city.

Wish List Administration

Submitted By: kpkosak on 04/23/2012

Wish List Administration

Submitted By: kpkosak on 04/23/2012