See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new AutoCAD "User" certification-request for input

Login to Give a bone

Default new AutoCAD "User" certification-request for input

I am a drafting instructor for a technical school and I am requesting input from other CAD professionals.

Autodesk is rolling out a new "User" certification for high school students. This seems to be in response to the Government making a rather large amount of money available if a student gets an "industry certification" while in high school. While I think this is an outstanding goal, my problem is this. Autodesk already offers 2 certifications for AutoCAD, Associate and Professional. Is the “User” exam an “industry certification” or a high school certification? Part of the federal regulation is that a school must have a 50% pass rate on the certification exam to get the funding. Should the test be designed to increase the passing rate?

In their own FAQ sheet Autodesk calls it “a new certification offering that meets the needs of schools”. Will the student who passes the “User” certification have the skills required to be successful in the workforce or will they need the additional skills represented by the Associate and Professional certifications as they “move forward with additional levels of certification as they attend college and begin working in their design careers”. This is also a quote from the FAQ sheet.

At our technical school there is about a 50% pass rate on the existing exams. We have both adult and high school students. The high school students are “duel enrolled” for part of the day.

Specifically:
    How important is certification if you are looking to hire a new cad tech?
    Is it more important to be certified if you are right out of school?
    Do the existing exams give an accurate assessment of cad skills?
    Do we need a third level of certification?

I think you can tell how I feel about this but I need your input to see if I need to adjust my thinking.

Any other general comments are welcome as well.

Thanks
    Chuck

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: new AutoCAD "User" certification-request for input

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_cantieny View Post
    I am a drafting instructor for a technical school and I am requesting input from other CAD professionals.

Autodesk is rolling out a new "User" certification for high school students. This seems to be in response to the Government making a rather large amount of money available if a student gets an "industry certification" while in high school....

Specifically:
    To answer the questions in order....Not, No, No, and No

Vendor Certification in and of itself is not something I would place much value on for in a new hire. Essentially all it can tell an employer is that this person was able to pass a cookbook exam using study materials from a software vendor that are primarily focused on demonstrating their product. That has little to no relevance to how good the person's problem solving skills are, what their background knowledge is, or how motivated they are to excel in performing the job they are hired to do,

Certification right out of school? even more emphatically -- no value. If the person lacks industry knolwedge, work experience, a basic comprehension of work flows, then being able to pass a vendor test is immaterial. I'll hire them as a rookie, the same as I would a graduate of the same course who did not spend money getting certified.

Do the existing exams give an accurate assessment of cad skills? I've seen little evidence that they do. And again, cad skills, no matter how 'leet' the person thinks they are, are only a part of the job they are hired to do. It doesn't matter how fast they can click ribbon tabs if they have no idea what it is they are drawing.

Do we need a third level of (Vendor) certification? Well, industry doesn't, students don't, presumably faculty and schools don't. Seems like the only possible beneficiary would be the vendor and testing orgqanization. Based on your first paragraph, it appears that this is being rolled out so the vendor can reap some of the available money. (/whispers scam under his breath/)

Actually, I'd go even further and claim that a vendor certification should not be considered an "industry certification". Being able to use only one tool, whether Acad or a hammer, does not fit anyone to consider themselves skilled in an industry. Anf heck, it's imposible to consider 'cad usage' an industry anyway.

If a recent graduate came up with a CD from the ADDA, that would be of more interest than a vendor cert by a large measure.

Login to Give a bone

Having taken a few of the tests I can say what they test has little to do with actually completeling work. They are simply a test of how well you can remember/find where all the buttons are.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Re: new AutoCAD "User" certification-request for input

I have been drafting since 1979. I started using AutoCAD in 1985 with version 1.8. I have been a CADD manager for the last 10 years, and I have taught AutoCAD to industry clients.

I have taken the Autodesk certification test a number of times. I have gotten no better than a 70. Why?

The test is written in such a way that you need to decifer what they are asking for, not what the real answer is.

I have yet to be asked for a certification. I still work in the industry

The only thing that a certificaton shows is that the person know how to answer the questions, not how well they can Draft.

Login to Give a bone

Specifically:

I would give someone with certification a few extra points, they at least can prove they know something about the software.

Probably more valid than at any other time, once you have work experience I don't believe the certificate would do much good.

The give an accurate assessment of the knowledge of cad software.

This might the only one that is needed, very few in industry care about the certificate. It is almost a negative to talk about your certification with most employers.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_cantieny View Post
    ... This seems to be in response to the Government making a rather large amount of money available if a student gets an "industry certification" while in high school.
    ... In their own FAQ sheet Autodesk calls it “a new certification offering that meets the needs of schools”.
    What are "the needs of schools"?

To grab some of the money on offer.

Login to Give a bone

My two cents.

I think the certification exams are more important for someone new to the field, I think it shows you have a passion for the industry and want to show your knowledge. I don't think it should be the only consideration when hiring someone but if all things are equal this should be the deal maker.

Is it more important to be certified if you are right out of school? Yes, more so than someone with 20 years experience. But I am certified and have 30 years experience, the test are not easy and may not be an indication of your knowledge but again they show willingness to excel.

Yes and no, I had to study to pass the exam and I know (or thought I knew) the software well. I appreciate the test and love passing them, there is no better feeling than passing. I know these certifications have helped me validate my skills and helped me professionally, they can not hurt your career.

I think any certification anyone can get is a feather in the cap.

Login to Give a bone

I disagree with "It is almost a negative to talk about your certification with most employers" I have never run into this situation, in fact I think it puts you one up with all other things considered.

Login to Give a bone

Employers may not ask but if you tell it could be what makes the decision easier! In my opinion.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Certifications require dedicated time, so its a good option for those who are unemployed or under-employed - shows they are interested in keeping their skills up to par. A full-time employee would have a hard time doing that, so its a good sign to check what *exactly* they were doing for the employer at that time. If it wasn't on the company dime it could be a sign the person was just a clock-puncher, not really interested in doing the job beyond the pay cheque and work history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast