Thread: After exploding WBLOCK inserted surface, it's offset into the distance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default After exploding WBLOCK inserted surface, it's offset into the distance

I've skimmed through the other threads, but don't see this specific problem, so forgive me if I've just missed it.

While trying to get a Proposed Conditions surface out of one file and into the Existing Conditions file (in an effort to merge the two), I attempted the WBLOCK insertion technique. When the WBLOCK is first inserted, it looks perfectly placed. After exploding it (so that it appears as a viable surface in Toolspace), I get error icons... ...then after rebuilding it... ...the surface gets thrown horizontally into space (not very far away, but offset nonetheless).

The manual describes a "double jump" phenomenon, which may be happening here, but the manual's solution is to maintain the insertion point at 0,0,0 - which is exactly what I've been doing. I've tried changing coordinate systems, binding an xref, data shortcuts... ...to no avail.

I've run out of options and since I'm just learning Civil 3D, it's probably something simple. I appreciate any guidance.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: After exploding WBLOCK inserted surface, it's offset into the distance

use this method instead...
    and whom ever is advocating WBLOCKING any surface out of a file should be flogged
    and please email whomever wrote that book and tell them to take that set of instruction out.

Go to the file with the desired surface in it
    find the surface in the prospector tab
    select it
    Rt-Click and Export the surface using XML

open the file you want that surface in
    Go to Import Tab Panel, and select Import LandXML
    Import the surface you just exported as XML in the step above

No need to explode, no need to worry about any shifting or double jumping...

Just have a nice day!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: After exploding WBLOCK inserted surface, it's offset into the distance

OK, that helps somewhat, but it's still not placing the linework in the right place (offset about 17,000 feet +/- horizontally). The import XML technique does create a surface in the target file Prospector (without any error icons), but it's giving me 3D polylines instead of feature lines, contour lines, etc. Also, when I turn on the triangles I get nothing. Looks like it just converted all the surface-defining entities into 3D polylines but didn't bring the TIN. I suppose there are XML export/import settings that I need to learn about, but the more vexing issue is the placement. I just can't get the surface TIN to sit down in the right spot. It feels like trying to place a puzzle piece into a gap... ...but the puzzle insists on putting it several pieces away.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

did you set the correct units and zone for the File in the drawing settings

and the surface should ONLY show you what is turned on in the surface style
    there will not be any seperate 3d lines, points, or contours....

so your real issue is the Coordinate zone setting of your file...

so if you want to see the line, turn them on in the style
    you want to see contours, change the style...

are you new to civil 3d?
    Last edited by mjfarrell; 2012-04-26 at 05:20 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Let me elaborate on a couple of points,

if the usrface is coming from a file set to no units, and no zone for the coordinate system
    the destination file should have those same settings
    If the originating file is set to use a coordinate system, the destination should have the same settings
    or it will transform the data.

The imported XML surface sill be whole and complete, however it will not contain any of the data originally used to create it.
    The only data you will see is whatever is turned on within the object style and that applies to how you are viewing the surface, plan, or model views within the style.
    You can extract data from the file however from what I see that isn't what you are trying to do.
    You will instead what to DELETE the point data within the are you are attempting to merge the two surfaces together.
    (You will need to have the points turned on within the style to perform these edits) Also do NOT delete any lines within that surface.
    In this manner when you paste on into the other there will not be any conflicts between their data.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, I'm new to Civil 3D.
    Have tried various options in the "Units and Zone" dialogue... ..including making sure both files are set to "No Datum" (the survey is for a local jurisdiction, not in state plane coordinates)... ...can't make it work.
    Will probably have to punt and create the model from scratch because I just can't get the surface from one drawing to another.
    I appreciate your time and feedback, though.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

use a data shortcut
    then when the surface is data referenced into your file
    Promote it.

IF the data shortcut version of the surface is still in the wrong place it is definitely an issue of units and zone.
    If you want send me you file(s) to verify and resolve.