Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi, My Name Is......

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hi, My Name Is......

Hello everbody,
    I loaded C3D on my computer to check it out. Seems interesting but have not got to deep into it because it lacks the pipe routines (i.e. storm and sewer) that I need. I guess I could switch back and forth from C3D to LDD but am to lazy until I am forced to.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I agree completely. I have tried to follow the tutorials provided, but keep getting lost in the terminology. I think the program has a way to do about whatever is required but the steps can be somewhat surprising. I am finding that the drawings are more groups of entities, somewhat like a block, that are edited in tool space rather than lines,arcs and circles that I am used to dealing with. I am looking at a finished grade profile that I have finally been able to create by going through the creation by layout dialog. One entity is the frame with stations and elevations, there are 2 profiles - one existing style and one design style and a block shown the full information for each vertical curve. The only way to modify them is from within tool space prospector or settings. I have not tried to work with COGO yet and this is only a guess, but perhaps there is some kind of creation and modification dialog similar to the profiles.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

When you work in C3D, everything ( or almost everything) is an Object, not lines, arcs and entities. You manipulate the appearnce of the object by applying Styles to them. So, for a Grading Object as an example, in one window you can make it show in Perspective view with shademode on and in another window in the same file at the same time, you can have it display as contours. So when you modify the object, it will update in both displays at the same time. For Points, you can have them display the information (PNEZD and Geo Data) with one "Style" and have it show as a block with only the elevation labelled (such as Manhole Rim Elev.) the way the style has it defiend. So if your style says the MH Label should look like this

SMH
    Rim El. = 1234.56

It will do it for you by pulling the Elevation Property from the Point Object.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Be patient Walford - the next release of Civil 3D is supposed to include Pipe works. I would also advise you to start learning what you can now as this program is very different from Civil Design that was officially retired Jan 15. It is a safe bet that the new version will handle the pipes in the same manner as everything else and the more familiar you are with its procedures the better of you will be.

Stephen R. Sherrill

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Mark,

I think the problem with Carolyn's points is the ability to export them into a format that will allow each attribute to have its own layer to control visibility in R14 and Microstation. In EaglePoint the nodes are handled in this manner and additionally, alternate styles can be used upon import to provide a new set of layer names. The only way I can figure to get the results she wants is to import them in the EaglePoint program rather than using the nodes translated down from Civil 3D.

Login to Give a bone

Carolyn,

It looks as if you will need to define a Point File Export Format and then export the pointss to an ASCII file that your boss can import into MS or ACADR14. Or write a little script\lisp routine that will read each line and set the layer(s) accordingly. If your boss has Softdesk for R14, you can use the Batch file in the Survey Module to do this rather quickly.
    Last edited by MHultgren; 2005-01-31 at 10:57 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Another way to do this is to import the Points in C3D onto separate layers with the defined "Style" you need for the info. You can re import the points again with the new Style current on a separate layer and repeat as needed. Your IT folks should be able to modify the program they wrote easily enough to handle that. Place the Blocks in the first pass with one style, switch layers and repeat as necessary.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Mark, I thought about that, but didn't know if the visibility of the attributes an a given layer would translate down or if they would all be on on each layer when they get to r14. It would be worth a try for her at least.

Thanks for helping out.

Stephen R. Sherrill

Login to Give a bone

If she runs it through placing the labels on each layer as needed, then disassociating them afterward and removing the points, then insert the points again with the new settings, it should come in as expected. Of course she would have to repeat this process for each new item\layer that she needs. I do this with my point labels (in LDT) all the time for my grading plans. The points don't change, but the label placement does along with the justification. An example is the Top of Curb shots on each side of the street. I insert my TC Point group using the label style I set up and then disassocite the labels and change the justification, location and rotation as needed, so they work correctly and stay where I put them in case someone has their point settings set to reset the labels. It also makes it easier to port the drawing down to R14 as the labels come in as MText instead of not coming in at all. Of course when porting over to MS, she will have to reset the MText width as MS does not "See" the width property of MText correctly.

Login to Give a bone

1) My boss doesn't do any of the translating to Microstation. I do it all.

2) We use EP/R14 to do all the manipulation of points, objects, lines, etc., etc. I only use Civil3D for our in-house symbol/line generator program. We are a small company. We only have ONE IT person (who also does other things). His time is limited. As is mine.

We have limited time to figure out this stuff in either Land DeskTop or Civil3D.

3) My boss has currently said we will go back to using Land DeskTop rather than Civil3D until everything is available in Civil3D. We received an announcement from Autodesk titled "Information for Autodesk Civil Engineering Customers" stating that Autodesk is aware that "functionality gaps do exist" in C3D which is why we still have "companion" licenses for Land DeskTop etc.

4) I have been meeting regularly with my boss and our IT person about the info I have been reading here.

5) My boss is SERIOUSLY considering going back to EaglePoint. EaglePoint makes ALL of the COGO stuff so easy to use our learning curve would be negligible.

I don't know what to say. Doing what we need to do in EITHER C3D or LDD, as described above, is way too difficult without specific training for us which is not readily available. Each of us does very unique things and EACH of us would need some basic training, but also individualized training which costs more money. Plus it still isn't entirely clear to us that even with specific instruction, AutoCAD would be able to DO what we need it to do. Maybe we're alone amongst other AutoCAD users. Maybe we're being stupid, here. I don't know.

I can tell you what I came up with in regarding to putting four separate groups of points, each with four separate attributes (node, description, number and elevation) on different layers in LDD. I set up (I could be wrong about terminology here - it's been a year and I haven't had time to go thru it again more recently) four different node styles assigning EACH of the four attributes INDIVIDUAL color numbers. Then I imported the nodes, one style at a time. Then I exploded all of them and used simple command macros to filter on specific color numbers assigning everything with that color number to a specific layer. It worked. I don't know, however, since we never actually did any real testing further, whether, by using that method, we lost any abilities to search on or manipulate the resulting pieces.

This was just ONE of many COGO related issues. I really want to enter more threads with specific cogo info we need to be able to access. I just haven't had TIME. Sigh.

Thanks for all the time people have put in here. I appreciate it. I wish I could tell you what we're going to do. But it keeps changing.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast