Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi, My Name Is......

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hi, My Name Is......

Quote Originally Posted by srsherrill
    I hope they didn't follow the LDDT model too closely. I have been trying to assemble a package that would restore at least my most favorite routines to use with 2k5.
    Stephen,
    Like I said, I just did a quick perusal of the website. They have demos you can download and watch and Info packets available on the site also. I just didn't have time to look into it in depth.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Mark

I watched the little demo on the site, but they are more an overview of what the package does. What I really want to see is what type of text is created with the annotation and how it behaves with manipulation. I REALLY miss the simple commands that placed middle justified DTEXT above, beneath or along a line and the annotation commands that produced the same labeling. I have had to dust off my old r12 lisp routines and modify them to do many EP one pick commands with LDDT and some things I have gone back to r10 procedures to get the desired results.

Steve

Login to Give a bone

AHHHH, the good old days . Stephen, check out Dotsoft on the web, they have some good tools available that are real timesavers.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quiggle here, from Colorado
    Our firm does mainly small subdivisions and commercial sites. We thought maybe Civil 3D would be less cumbersome than land dev and civil design. It seems on the surface to meet our needs fine if it does eventually include pipeworks, but lacking that it seems more trouble than benefit. I have seen that we could export the linework into civil design for the piping but WHAT linework? I have one small development in Civil 3D at the moment and I am hard pressed to find any linework to export as everything seems to be several pieces of blocks and labels combined into a few "objects". The lots are 2 or 3 segments that combine with a label to make a parcel. I have three complete street profiles that appear to be composed of three objects each. I am about finished with my first corridor, but I think it will also be only one object. Will these all be "exploded" into objects autocad can work with after export? If so, how? I tried an XML file and nothing usable was sent to autocad. It looks this far into the project that we will need to have parallel drawings in order to design sanitary and storm sewers. Are we missing some critical step?

Login to Give a bone

Quiggle,

Did you define the Alignments before you exported to LandXML? You can define your Pipe runs as an alignment and then Include it in your Export. You can pick and choose what you want to export as well, Just Points, suface(s), alignments or any combination of three including everything. Then when you import these into Land your data will be there, your alignment CL will come in and you simply define the alignment as a pipe run. You will need to join the alignment as a polyline and then define it, but it does come in.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Mark
    The preliminary work on this site was created in land dev with the current street alignments preliminary grades and lot layout. As the alignments are unchanged, should we overwrite the land dev files with Civil 3D alignments? What about the profiles, should the new grades be imported as well? Is there any benefit to exporting the pipeline alignments over just creating them in the old base sheet in land dev? Would it be better to xref the Civil 3D drawing into the old base sheet and create all the project sheets in land dev or bring back everything into Civil 3D? Actually, I am not sure if we really have a surface to export. We have created finished grade contours within a corridor, but it does not appear to be a true surface that can be manipulated. The export to surface from corridor did not generate the same contours and were really quite a mess. There are areas that require special attention that are seemingly beyond our ability to address with corridor assemblies.

Login to Give a bone

Quiggle,

The way it is "Supposed" to work is: If you have the alignment already in one or the other, the data "SHOULD" update. As long as you do not change the names, or move the profiles around. You may need to redraw the profiles ( should be able to just redraw the selected surface).

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

How about a report of an unqualified success with Civil 3D!

I just tried exporting a surface for someone to start working the sewers. He just cut the alignment in LDDT and came up with a great looking design profile - very smooth and far better than what we have gotten from Civil Design. I've been bumped down to a LDDT project this week and it sure feels clunky.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Is it worth a try to revive this thread?

How about posting an update on the projects mentioned earlier? I know that mine has hit the rocks after numbers for the the first billing cycle surprised everyone and over in the wishlist board it looks like someone else's had the same fate.

A bit of more hopeful news would be nice to see about now. Surely there must be some more people out there trying to use Civil 3D by now. I have heard of at least one very large project in Florida being done with this software. Perhaps someone on that project will stop by and leave an inspiring update.

Login to Give a bone

C3D is becoming my drafting environment of choice, because I have Advanced Road Design (a third-party add-on to LDDT/C3D), map (mostly cleanup) and LDDT commands and multiple document interface, all without necessarily having to create projects and so on. Once my template files are set up, the transition from straight drafting to 3D design should be almost easy. I'm hoping to be able to remove land enabled Map from my diet fairly soon.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast