Thread: .nwc files not refereshing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default .nwc files not refereshing

I received a .nwf and all the appended .nwc files from the person who was managing clash detection for a project. Now, when I receive an updated .nwc file from my mechanical engineer (exported from his revit model), and overwrite the file I have in my directory, the .nwf file does not update, it still shows the old mechanical model. Is there a way to force navisworks to repath an appended file to this new model?
    Thanks,

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: .nwc files not refereshing

I've seen this quite a bit with .nwc files. That's why I require my Autocad users to save as .dwg's and my Revit users to notify by email whenever they update a .nwc file. I usually open the .nwf, delete the specific file, then append it.

I don't know if it happens all the time but, I know I've seen it at least half a dozen times with Revit Arch and Struc. That's enough to make me change how I do things to ensure I get the results I need.

It might get fixed some day but, it'll have to be a proven fix on a large project (400+ drawing/nwc files) to make me change.
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

I could stop if I wanted to jspartz's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Change one character in the filename and reopen the NWF. If it doesn't ask you where the file is relocated to, then it's not linking to the file you think it is.

Beware that if you delete a NWC in a NWF and reappend it, everything is lost (clashes set back to new, search sets have to be refreshed, selection sets with objects in that file are no good). And last time I tried, the same thing happens if you move the file to a new location and tell it where the new path is.

I've had it not refresh a file when overwriting NWCs. The way I got around it was to rename the old one first, then create the new one with the same name in its place, and open the NWF. Or if you have NWCs close after loading checked within Navisworks options, try hitting the reload button.

Login to Give a bone

I think I figured this one out. The problem seems to stem from the fact that the .nwf file along with all the appended .nwc and .dwg files were originally put together by another firm and then sent to me. I'm guessing the file path to the appended files was still trying to use the other firm's directory. I don't have this problem when I set up a NW file.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

A workaround process could have gone as follows:
    Receive the files, rename slightly just the appended files (not the NWF). You don't need to do much on the rename, just add 00 to the end of the name. Example: OLDNAME.NWC (or dwg) to OLDNAME00.NWC. Then open the NWF. The NWF will not find the files it is looking for due to the name changes, and will prompt for their new location/name, which you can then point to the new name.
    Ooops, just noticed jspartz already gave this workaround.

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dennis howell View Post
    A workaround process could have gone as follows:
    Receive the files, rename slightly just the appended files (not the NWF). You don't need to do much on the rename, just add 00 to the end of the name. Example: OLDNAME.NWC (or dwg) to OLDNAME00.NWC. Then open the NWF. The NWF will not find the files it is looking for due to the name changes, and will prompt for their new location/name, which you can then point to the new name.
    Ooops, just noticed jspartz already gave this workaround.
    Ugghh.. That would take forever on a few of my models. I'd prefer to just delete the whole lot and start fresh with a 'template' file set up with my rules and batches. Selecting multiple files to append to the model is a LOT faster than individually pointing to new locations/files..
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!