Thread: GRADING OBJECT CAUSES FATAL ERROR

Login to Give a bone

Default GRADING OBJECT CAUSES FATAL ERROR

AS USUAL GRADING OBJECTS CRASHED MY DRAWING AND IT COULD NOT BE RECOVERED (ALSO AS USUAL) THE WORK AROUND I HAVE BEEN USING IS TO COPY THE PROJECTION LINE OF MY GRADING OBJECT TO A SITE CALLED "TEMP" MANUALLY REDRAFTING THE INTERNAL LINES THEN DELETING ALL PROJECTION GRADINGS, AND RECREATING THEM WITH INFILL GRADINGS, THEN RESTYLING THE INFILL GRADING TO LOOK LIKE A PROJECTION GRADING. BUT THIS IS TOO MUCH WORK. IS THERE A BETTER WAY. LETS BE REALISTIC, I CANNOT USE PROJECTION GRADING ANYMORE, THE RISK OF A CORRUPTED FILE IS WAY TOO HIGH, LIKE THE DRAPED SURFACE WHICH IS PERPETUALLY ROTATED BY 90 DEGREES, THIS IS ANOTHER LOVELY "FEATURE" OF CIVIL3D THAT NOBODY CAN ACTUALLY USE IN A REAL-WORLD OFFICE B/C IT JUST WASTES TIME.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: GRADING OBJECT CAUSES FATAL ERROR

Please send me aa copy of your file to experiment with.
    I use gradings, and I do not have to do the tricks you are using to prevent fatal errors.

Login to Give a bone

isolated the problem: it is causeed by projection grading to surface intersecting another projection grading to surface. AND in some cases by a projection grading to surface which begins at the 0+00 station of the feature line

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

As I suspected, it was a matter of process. Thanks for the update.

Login to Give a bone

understand but look the ability to solve self-intersection is the primary reason I use gradings instead of corridors. I can't really get my work done if the program becomes unstable when an intersection happens

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Could be that there is a different way to approach your design using the same tools in another way.
    Also I can 'solve' self intersections with corridors using a two step process, and or different assembly methods.
    Fully uderstanding the 'weakness' of the application allows for a user to craft some interesting solutions.

Just two days ago, a two different students described particualr design challenges.
    These were reduced to a procedure that produced the exact results they required, and a greater understanding of the tools involved.
    Perhaps you could post a sketch and the design criteria, and I could suggest an alternate method?

Trust me I agree fully, direct feedback to autodesk appears to produce limited results, openly complaining about it in some places can
    lead to one's post being censored, or yourself being banned for discussing the truth.
    I think autodesk should hire someone like myself who is both a proponent of the product, and a skeptic; to function as a liason
    between the customers and the product development team to fix the stuff that users encounter that they want to pretend is not an issue or worth addressing (ever).