Thread: Aligning dimensions via the "grips"

Login to Give a bone

Default Aligning dimensions via the "grips"

I can remember that you used to be able to align dims via the "grips" so that they were linearly aligned. I don't seem to have this option anymore. Does it have to be turned on in 2012? I know I can use dimspace, but I'd rather just align when I place them than have to execute another command.

Thanks!

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Aligning dimensions via the "grips"

Not sure I understand. When you start a new dimension (say DimLinear), you're asked to pick the start & endpoints, then a 3rd point for the dim-line location. Simply pick a dim you want to align to as the 3rd point. Otherwise, if you want to have the new dim aligned to a previous one, then use DimContinue - which then takes the previous dim's end point as the new dim's start, you're asked for the new endpoint and the line is aligned to the old dim.

You can still grip-edit the dims afterwards by dragging the dim-line's grips (either end) and snap to another dim.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgrrlone View Post
    I can remember that you used to be able to align dims via the "grips" so that they were linearly aligned.
    Align with grips works with DIMALIGNED, not with DIMLINEAR, so you need to decide which style are going to use before you start put dimensions.

Login to Give a bone

I think I see why I can't do what I want. I'm using the power dimension command which will allow you to "pull" the dimension to be linear, aligned, etc. You can't align on dim creation to another dimention with grips when using the power dimension command.

Login to Give a bone

I think I see why I can't do what I want. I'm using the power dimension command ...
    As you post more and get to the point where you find yourself answering more questions here than you ask you will start to appreciate how important it is to include information like the "power command" detail in a question. We can see that you use ACAD Mech, but without a detail like that it's near impossible to figure out what might be going wrong on a user's end. In my case, I didn't even know the Power Dimension function even existed until you mentioned it and I Googled it.

Dave.

Login to Give a bone

Truthfully, the issue is that most users, myself included, have no clarity on what commands are in Mech that are NOT in vanilla ACAD.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you check your options (or AMOPTIONS) and go to AM:Preferences - Snap Settings - Snap Defaults and then in the lower left corner of the dialog that opens, Filter Options and UNCHECK Dimensions, you will be able to use the dim grips again. Not sure WHY they would set that to disabled by default? I think they figure if you have your dim spacing set correctly, you shouldn't need to move them around.

I can remember that you used to be able to align dims via the "grips" so that they were linearly aligned. I don't seem to have this option anymore. Does it have to be turned on in 2012? I know I can use dimspace, but I'd rather just align when I place them than have to execute another command.

Thanks!