See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unrefreneced Images Showing up in CAD Dwg's

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Unrefreneced Images Showing up in CAD Dwg's

I appreciate all the feedback so far but I am still mystified but what is going on. I am attaching a new example of what I am talking about.

1. We hire an outside firm to prepare a survey for us. They then send us there CAD file. Once we receive that we do not touch that file at all. It simple gets referenced into our drawings and we manipulate layers through the layer dialogue box and have visretain set to 1 to hold our changes.

1.A I just reviewed my External Reference dialogue box, and all of the same images in the attach file are also in another drawing too. So 2 drawings have all of the images in it and are behaving the same.

2. With that said, please see the attached file. All of the unreferenced images are in my final plotting file which is basically my end product that goes out to the client. These images were never, in the survey drawing we first received that cad file. All of these images were added later in the project.

3. The other interesting thing is that I can detached the images from that drawing. But if I try to reassociate the path to the image, CAD wont let me. If I use the attach option, it wants me to bring the image into the drawing as it is not in there. Basically all that is in the survey drawing is the reference of the images.

4. So my question still remains, what is causing this to happen? Does it have to deal with how people are opening the refrence files (by double clicking it, right clicking then open, or refediting the drawings - which I am not a fan of any of them)? Or is something else going on? I dont think people are adding the images to these files other wise I would be able to reload or update the path and they would show up.

I need to address this with my CAD team but dont know how to go about it yet. Please help. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

OK,, leave a copy of what the survey firm sent you in an INCOMING folder, so it stays inviolate. then copy it to a working folder, and clean it out. detach all images, especially anything in paper space. for that matter, delete everything else in paper space - it's irrelevant when xreferencing in a base file. Purge, audit, overkill, -purge R. Basically get rid of everything you don't need to see in your sheets.

Fire up the CLASSICXREF command,_not_ the XREF command, and look into the tree view to ensure that nothing is nested. It really sounds like you're carrying over stuff that's not needed.

Once you are 110% sure the survey file s a clean as possible, then use that to replace the original in your drawings. Then fire up the CLASSICXREF command once again, look into the tree view, and ensure that nothing is showing up as nested.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    ... delete everything else in paper space - it's irrelevant when xreferencing in a base file.
    Most easily done by deleting every layout tab - one or two new ones will be created (dependant on settings) but they will be clean.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Savefidelity = 0, and Annoallvisible = 0, may help.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Ok, it took me awhile to figure this out but I have found out what is going on. Not sure how to fix it yet but to tell my CAD users not to do this anymore but this is what I discovered.

Apparently, "Double Clicking" and xref (which technically opens up the Refedit command) is some how nesting the images from other drawings into the drawing that has been opened to edit. Then saved there once you close out of the refedit commend.

Login to Give a bone

Modify the double click actions for XREFs to have it open the xref using the XOPEN command. That should help with the refedit of xrefs. I make it a point to do that here.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

so I am having the same problem. My issue is I have a host drawing. and it has external references and images attached to it. If I refedit one of the drawings, when I close and save the drawing I am editing, the images that are attached to the host drawing will copy themselves to the xref I just edited as unreferenced entities. I have been searching for a answer all day long for this.

Login to Give a bone

So, the answer is don't use REFEDIT. Use XOPEN instead,

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    So, the answer is don't use REFEDIT. Use XOPEN instead,
    Google search for "autocad REFEDIT issues" returns About 17,600 results (0.79 seconds).

In the first few months after it was added years ago saw enough posts from users having issues to wait until they were all resolved to try it.

I'm still waiting but thankfully I've never had an issue simply opening the xrefs to work on them.

Login to Give a bone

I try REFedit once in a while, but it fails to open reference files on C3D, which is 98% of my workday, so while it _could_ be useful if it worked, it isn't at all usable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12