See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unrefreneced Images Showing up in CAD Dwg's

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Unrefreneced Images Showing up in CAD Dwg's

I have an unusual thing happening to several CAD drawings and I hope to explain this as best as possible.

The issue I am having is that when I open up some drawings and I bring up my reference dialogue box I have unrefrence image files that should not be in there showing up.

Our drawings are set up this way, all of our work is done in external refrence files. These files are then brought into our final plan drawings (the ones with title blocks). We do not leave images in our xref's. They are only placed in Paper space of our final plan drawings.

Which brings me to my mystery. How are the images I place in Paper Space showing up as unreferenced images in my xref drawings that the images have never been inserted into?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Unrefreneced Images Showing up in CAD Dwg's

fire up the CLASSICXREF command, and look at the tree view display. chances are that the un-referenced images are attached to paper-space in one of the xref files.

Login to Give a bone

Nope that did not work. Its weird because we start all of our drawings from a template which is clean and we do not attached any xrefs or images everything is overlay with relative path. The other issue is that they show up in drawings that we receive from outside vendors such as surveys which we do not touch.

My thought is this (but its untested) that some of our cad users are using refedit inside of our final drawings where the images are located. And some how the images are getting placed into our xref files? (My opinion is I dont like the refedit command, and try to tell users not to use it).

Does this make sense?

Login to Give a bone

images (and pdfs, etc) do NOT respect overlay. They are ATTACH only, and will propogate through the tree. What showed up in the CLASSICXREF Tree view? can you post a snapshot?

The other thing I can think of to track it down is to do an XOPEN (not a RefEdit) of each attached XREF, and check them one by one.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry for the long delay to this. I have uploaded an image which shows what I am talking about.

The 4 unreference images in my details reference file should not be in there. This drawing was create from a template which has no images in it. The images that are shown were placed in paper space not model space either.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The first thing that I would do is open the xr-detl drawing and delete any layout tabs in it. If that doesn't get rid of the images. I would use the properties palette and quick select to see if it finds any images. Sometimes CAD is super weird and there are objects there but they won't show up. Sometimes they show up and won't let you select them.

Login to Give a bone

open xr-detl file , open references manager ... right click unwanted image and detach it ....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by moshira_hassan View Post
    open xr-detl file , open references manager ... right click unwanted image and detach it ....
    Also, what is probably causing this is that someone does not understand that images behave like xrefs, as cadtag mentioned. If they select the image and delete it rather than detaching it, you will get this problem. Same thing holds true for any xref...you need to use the xref manager and not just delete.

When you get a message for "unreferenced" xrefs/images, it means that their definition is stored in the file database, but there is no INSERT object that references the definition. This is not the same as when you have an INSERT, but the file cannot be found. In this case, you'll see the file path printed on the screen where the xref is inserted.

Also, checking the title, shouldn't it be that they're not "showing up"?
    Last edited by Ed Jobe; 2012-07-18 at 03:44 PM.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

What if you type in image and use the image manager? You should be able to unload or detach from there.

Login to Give a bone

That won't work, since the images are nested images, that is to say they were attached in the xref files. The OP will need to open _each_ reference file that has an image attached to it, and detach there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast