Thread: Any way to reduce the pixel size with Raster print processing?

Login to Give a bone

Default Any way to reduce the pixel size with Raster print processing?

I had a complaint that our building elevations with shadows turned on are hard to read, and I agree. The raster processing pixellates the elevation so bad that a lot of detail is lost on things like brick or shingle hatch patterns, small objects, etc. Is there any way to make the little square pixels any smaller? I tried changing the Raster image quality setting from High to Presentation, and that does make some things a little more defined, but the pixels are still the same size. Also tried changing the Adobe settings from the default 1200 dpi to 2400 dpi but that did nothing.

Any ideas?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Any way to reduce the pixel size with Raster print processing?

Adobe PDF (if that’s what you’re using) is worthless, try CutePDF Writer - it's free . Looking at the enclosed picture, I think it’s clear who the winner is. Both prints are done with raster ‘high’ quality. CutePDF with ‘presentation’ quality is almost as good as vector.

PDF_comparison.png

Login to Give a bone

If you are using Adobe PDF, you need to change the default Adobe PDF printer settings in "Devices and Printers". If you right pick on the Adobe PDF printer and go to Printing Preferences>Adobe PDF Settings Tab>Default Settings>Edit>Images, you can modify the Downsampling, Compression, Image Quality and Anti-Alias to gray settings. By default, if you never change them, Bicubic Downsampling defaults to 150pixels per inch for images above 225 pixels per inch. The image quality is set to medium, and the compression is set to JPEG. You will need to modify these settings for color and grayscale (make them 600 to start and see if you can tolerate as boosting the ppi will drastically increase your file size, if this is a concern). Then you can "Save As..." and share your settings with the rest of your team. I usually have a couple of named pdf settings depending on what I am printing out of Revit. Remember that any settings you change will effect pdf printing out of other programs - so you should always check them before you plot. Good Luck with your "worthless" pdf writer.

I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss.

- Cypher

Josh Siddle, BIM Manager, Cline Design Associates

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Adobe pdf image quality has improved , the file size however has doubled compering to the cute writer. Unfortunately, this is an issue for me. I’ll stick with the cute writer for now, but thanks for the tip.