See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How would you go about creating this in 3D?

Login to Give a bone

Default How would you go about creating this in 3D?

One of the engineers at my job got me to draft something up for him. At this point I'm finished the general shape of the object, with most of the important details. This last part though is a really difficult shape to create in 3D and I've made an attempt to replicate it but I'm having a tough time. Any advice? Any good commands I can use to further detail this and make it more accurate to what is represented in the picture? It doesn't have to be perfect in it's dimensions, this is just extra that I'm doing to both impress the engineer and improve my 3D drafting skills. I want him to be able to look at the inner components of this in 3D and go "WOW, you really got the details in there!"

Okay enough talk, here's a picture of what I'm trying to draw. Keep in mind that what's important is the twizzler/helix nozzle part.

full-cone-nozzles-spiral-jet-e-series-P365513.jpg
    And here's what I've drawn:
    Spray Nozzle.jpg

What I did was drew a circle that lined up with the hex nut, then I used the SWEEP command to have a rectangle sweep along the path of that circle, creating the first green ring. Then I used the HELIX command to draw a helix that pointed outwards. Once again I used the SWEEP command to make a rectangle sweep along the path of the helix. It didn't come out quite like I wanted to. I tried to extrude a rectangle along the path with a taper angle but ACAD wouldn't allow me to do that.

I've since then drawn a bunch of polylines that trace each of the 4 corners that make up the square that spirals up in the original photo. I tried making 3D surfaces with these lines but once again Autocad wouldn't let me. I tried closing the PLines but by doing so, lines were adjoined in areas that would screw up the process of creating surfaces or solids.

Any help would be appreciated. I've attached a copy of this drawing to my post, in case you want to open it up and see what I have. It includes 3 examples of what I've drawn so far, and the really dumb object that I had in place before trying to get the nozzle done in more detail.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How would you go about creating this in 3D?

Quote Originally Posted by Boozbaz154610 View Post
    One of the engineers at my job got me to draft something up for him. At this point I'm finished the general shape of the object, with most of the important details. This last part though is a really difficult shape to create in 3D and I've made an attempt to replicate it but I'm having a tough time. Any advice? Any good commands I can use to further detail this and make it more accurate to what is represented in the picture? It doesn't have to be perfect in it's dimensions, this is just extra that I'm doing to both impress the engineer and improve my 3D drafting skills. I want him to be able to look at the inner components of this in 3D and go "WOW, you really got the details in there!"

Okay enough talk, here's a picture of what I'm trying to draw. Keep in mind that what's important is the twizzler/helix nozzle part.

And here's what I've drawn:

What I did was drew a circle that lined up with the hex nut, then I used the SWEEP command to have a rectangle sweep along the path of that circle, creating the first green ring. Then I used the HELIX command to draw a helix that pointed outwards. Once again I used the SWEEP command to make a rectangle sweep along the path of the helix. It didn't come out quite like I wanted to. I tried to extrude a rectangle along the path with a taper angle but ACAD wouldn't allow me to do that.

I've since then drawn a bunch of polylines that trace each of the 4 corners that make up the square that spirals up in the original photo. I tried making 3D surfaces with these lines but once again Autocad wouldn't let me. I tried closing the PLines but by doing so, lines were adjoined in areas that would screw up the process of creating surfaces or solids.

Any help would be appreciated. I've attached a copy of this drawing to my post, in case you want to open it up and see what I have. It includes 3 examples of what I've drawn so far, and the really dumb object that I had in place before trying to get the nozzle done in more detail.
    Cool.

I see the fileformat is R2010, but, I just wanted to ask what release you're using? There have been tweaks to various 3d tools over the past few releases and some answers might be affected by your version.

cheers!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

I'm using Autocad 2012. Not sure why it's in 2010 format.

*edit*

I used the loft command and created 2 planes that *might* be a good point to work forward from. I just tried to extrude one of these plans to add some thickness and well...autocad is frozen now

Pic related: It's Autocad about to meltdown on me.

freeze.png
    Last edited by Boozbaz154610; 2012-06-26 at 09:57 PM.

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Is this what you want?
    I am using AutoCAD v2011.

Login to Give a bone

I'm using Autocad 2012. Not sure why it's in 2010 format.
    The file format only changes about every 3 releases, so 2010, 2011 and 2012 all share the same one.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BoKirra View Post
    Is this what you want?
    I am using AutoCAD v2011.
    That is WAY closer to what I was aiming for. How did you draw that? Did you use the extrude command?

I found out that I can actually use the extrude command on a helix, so long as I EXPLODE the helix beforehand. For some reason a helix is like it's own line type or something, and after you explode it, it turns into a spline.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

That is WAY closer to what I was aiming for. How did you draw that? Did you use the extrude command?

I found out that I can actually use the extrude command on a helix, so long as I EXPLODE the helix beforehand. For some reason a helix is like it's own line type or something, and after you explode it, it turns into a spline.
    I created another one. See the attached file.
    1) create a helix. At this point, you may want to adjust the helix height, turns, or base diameter, etc.
    2) draw a profile (rectangle)
    3) "Sweep". This is the trick. I change the scale to 0.5 before select the sweep path.
    Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

You are amazing. Thank you!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Glad to help.
    You are welcome.