Thread: C3D Survey How to Create a 3D parallel Offset Lines

Login to Give a bone

Default C3D Survey How to Create a 3D parallel Offset Lines

I'm puzzled, I have the crews creating C3D figures using the Figure Coding quite successfully and would like to incorporate parallel offset lines. As an example, Survey the gutter of a curb and create the back of curb as an offset line. The problem is that combining the H (horizontal offset) and V (vertical offset), as in 1001 CG B H0.15 V0.15, (metric) gives me two seperate parallel lines, one horizontally offset, the other vertically offset from the surveyed line, in this case, CG gutter. Is there a way to create a single offset line horizontally and vertically offset from the surveyed line? Any suggestions and pointers would be appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: C3D Survey How to Create a 3D parallel Offset Lines

Quote Originally Posted by david.wylie689041 View Post
    I'm puzzled, I have the crews creating C3D figures using the Figure Coding quite successfully and would like to incorporate parallel offset lines. As an example, Survey the gutter of a curb and create the back of curb as an offset line. The problem is that combining the H (horizontal offset) and V (vertical offset), as in 1001 CG B H0.15 V0.15, (metric) gives me two seperate parallel lines, one horizontally offset, the other vertically offset from the surveyed line, in this case, CG gutter. Is there a way to create a single offset line horizontally and vertically offset from the surveyed line? Any suggestions and pointers would be appreciated.
    Welcome to AUGI.

I don't recall if this works on Survey Figures, and I don't have any at the moment, but give the OFFSETFEATURE Command a try.

I mostly use this Command to quickly offset a graded Feature Line (Rear lot lines, as example), at a specific slope (1:4, 1:6, etc.) well beyond the elevation of an existing surface, as part of my proposed Surface, only to subsequently run the MINIMUMDISTBETWEENSURFACES Command to get my daylight line.

[Edit] - You could always Raise/Lower a Horizontal offset as well.

In any event, HTH

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Thanks BlackBox I'll give both methods a try. I was hoping there was some method that the field crew could incorporate into their field work pick up procedures that way when there is a change in the offset requirements, for example when the curb they are surveying changes from a standard curb to the curb cut, they can simply change the coding, but I guess you can't have everything. Have a good week.

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Thanks BlackBox I'll give both methods a try. I was hoping there was some method that the field crew could incorporate into their field work pick up procedures that way when there is a change in the offset requirements, for example when the curb they are surveying changes from a standard curb to the curb cut, they can simply change the coding, but I guess you can't have everything. Have a good week.

thanks
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help - in full disclosure, I'm a Civil designer, not a surveyor, so someone more adept at survey side may know of a better solution.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Your code appears correctly coded. I'm not sure why it is not working as specified in the help for Special Codes.

Have you reported it as a bug?

I see the benefit in using these offsets, however, the real world is seldom constantly at those specified offsets. Therefore, we do not code with them.

Sorry I wasn't much help, though.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt