Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dynamic block for detail titles that auto sizes itself to the length of the title text ?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default dynamic block for detail titles that auto sizes itself to the length of the title text ?

We have a standard block for detail titles, the title text is double underlined with polylines. Is there a relatively easy way to make it so I can have the length of those polylines always match the length of the text?

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: dynamic block for detail titles that auto sizes itself to the length of the title text ?

Based on my experience, the only way to do this would be a reactor with a lisp routine. Dynamic blocks don't have the ability to use a text length property to lengthen a polyline.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: dynamic block for detail titles that auto sizes itself to the length of the title text ?

This is kind of weak, but you could delete the polylines and use underline text (put %%U before the title text).

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhallett View Post
    This is kind of weak, but you could delete the polylines and use underline text (put %%U before the title text).
    yes, but then I dont think you can get a double underline

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccowgill View Post
    yes, but then I dont think you can get a double underline
    But then, BS8888 and ASME Y.whatever-it-is say that drawing text should never be underlined. ~shrug~

And, with computer-generated text, there is less reason than ever to use underlining - just make the titles larger.
    Last edited by jaberwok; 2012-07-17 at 01:47 PM. Reason: last line added.

Login to Give a bone

... Is the intent to assist the OP in the stated request, or to only help so long as it (the help) is in compliance with some guideline(s) that are not mentioned anywhere in the OP?
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

waxing philosophical now? It is better to assist someone to indulge in non-optimal practices (ex viewports frames on defpoints, and then freezing them freezing that layer), or offer alternative suggestions that accomplish the desired result, yet conform better with industry best practices?

Login to Give a bone

So others may not misunderstand my meaning, I think that offering alternative suggestions is essential to making an informed decision, as often times the OP's complete situation is left out of the OP itself. That said....

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    It is better to assist someone to indulge in non-optimal practices (ex viewports frames on defpoints, and then freezing them freezing that layer), or offer alternative suggestions that accomplish the desired result, yet conform better with industry best practices?
    ... What industry does the OP work in, cadtag, and how would _not_ fulfilling the stated goal in any way help to 'accomplish the desired result'?

** Edit - It's the OP's request, they already have an existing methodology, and they're asking for help on optimizing existing requirements... Who decides that it is not an 'optimal practice'?

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

philosphical questions often should be considered rhetorical

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    philosphical questions often should be considered rhetorical
    Agreed, my friend.

Computer Specs:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast