Thread: Assigning Layer States to Viewports

Login to Give a bone

Default Assigning Layer States to Viewports

Hi all -

I have looked high and low for a solution to this, and found a dearth of information on the subject. However, everything is conflicting and it doesn't seem like there is a good solution. I'm hoping ACA 2012 has a simple function that will solve this issue... and it boggles my mind that it doesn't seem to be a feature.

Each file I have has a set of layer states. Each file has a couple of layouts - a proper architectural drawing and then a presentation plan. There's a "Print" and "Presentation" layer state, then, in each file.

My question is: How can I assign the layer state to the viewport? I use the sheet set manager to navigate/print and I need to be able to output both the presentation and print drawings in one shot... but if I'm working in model space and have my "Working" layer state turned on, it changes in both my viewports, and the prints end up being a big mess. This is really a basic function, fundamental to how architects work, and it's surprising that it's not a simple parameter in the properties of the viewport, like scale or plot style table.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Assigning Layer States to Viewports

I have not played around with layer States recently. I understand they can be useful for quickly switching between various collections of layer properties so that you see the right things on the model "tab". For layouts, I use the viewport layer features with VISRETAIN set to 1 if there are external references. That way, I can simply make certain all layers are globally on and thawed and let the viewport (and the current Display Configuration) control what is seen in each viewport.

The VPLAYER command is the old-school way of freezing and thawing layers on a viewport basis; you can do that in the Layer Manager palette in more recent versions. More recent versionsnalso allow for overriding other layer attributes on a per viewport basis, if desired.
    Last edited by dkoch; 2012-07-12 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typo

Login to Give a bone

the problem is that if I'm working in model space and save the file, there's nothing keeping the viewport layer settings locked. In your example, you have to make sure every layer is turned on in model space for the viewport to display properly. When I batch plot, I'll have no idea if *all* of the files have been saved with all of the layers turned on and unlocked. So it poses a bit of a problem - if I knew how to make a macro to revert to "ALL ON Layer State activated" upon close and "WORKING Layer State Activated" upon open, I would do that... but I don't have a clue how that works. If there is an easy way to do it (like a macro in excel or a photoshop action that records mouse clicks), I would love to know! Otherwise it sounds like there isn't really a solution.

This is a fundamental part of any architect's working process and it would be a simple enough fix to create a parameter for a viewport that sets its layer state, the same way one can set a scale or plot style table... right? I have seen people complaining about it lacking in Autocad all the way back to 2004/2006, and it's amazing that it has never been addressed.

Login to Give a bone

You are correct, the viewport settings can only prevent unwanted layers from showing, not assure that wanted layers are showing. My office generally has a separate file for each sheet, so the is rarely a reason for layers that are meant to be seen in the layout are globally frozen or off. Not that somebody could not do so, which is why I have never been a big fan of batch plotting. That can save a lot of time, especially on larger projects with many sheets, but only if you entire team has the discipline to leave all sheet file in a plot-ready state when saving/closing. My experience has been that that sort of discipline does not occur naturally in an architectural firm.