Thread: I wish there was a way to control the extents of a Section as you create it.

Wish List Administration

Default I wish there was a way to control the extents of a Section as you create it.

Summary: I wish there was a way to control the extents of a Section as you create it.

Description: Control Extent when Creating Section
    I wish there was a way to control the extents of a Section as you create it.

How Used: I would like the Option Bar to have controls for the Top and Bottom extents, as well as Depth of Section. The process would be: select the Section tool, set the extents and depth on the Option bar, and draw the Section line. The top and bottom should be defined as Current Level, Level Below, Level Above, Level 1, Level 2, etc.

This would save a LOT of time, as I wouldn't have to go to the section and drag the top and bottom grips, which, on a narrow section on a tall building can be difficult to select (yes, I know about Tabbing to select). The settings would remain for subsequent Sections, until changed.

Feature Affinity: Views - Elevations and Sections

Submitted By: Daniel Friesen on September 11, 2008

Default Re: I wish there was a way to control the extents of a Section as you create it.

When I am generating sections most of the time, I prefer to manually crop the boundary. It would be nice to maybe see the view clip settings on the options bar though rather than clicking for the view properties of that section.

Default Re: I wish there was a way to control the extents of a Section as you create it.

Perhaps a 3-click workflow would work well for section placement. Click once to pick one end of the section view, click twice to pick the other end, and then click a 3rd time to determine the extents of the section view. Another benefit of this is that it would also make the section point the way you want it to initially, instead of having to click the flip arrow, or having to remember which direction to draw the section line to make it go the way you want it.

I could stop if I wanted to dfriesen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Perhaps a 3-click workflow would work well [...] it would also make the section point the way you want it to initially[...]
    Excellent suggestion!

Exclamation Re: I wish there was a way to control the extents of a Section as you create it.

Quote Originally Posted by dfriesen View Post
    Excellent suggestion!
    Yes, excellent idea! Would relieve my stress of changing section directions and depth everytime I use the section tool.

Lightbulb Re: I wish there was a way to control the extents of a Section as you create it.

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Perhaps a 3-click workflow would work well for section placement...
    That would set the view depth and direction, which is nice, but that still wouldn't address the problem of having a section that cuts through the entire height of the building, instead of just at the current floor...

The current process for creating sections is draw the section cut, open the section, crop the top & bottom down to the floor you were on, and go back to the plan & cut the next section. It's annoying to have to go back & forth, as well as having to do the same repettitive stuff again and again, but if you create a bunch of sections, then go through them all to crop them, you'll need to make sure you don't miss any, otherwise you might not remember which floor you were trying to show in that view.

It would be nice if it defaulted to something above the top clip of the plan below, and below the bottom clip of the plan above. That way it would at least only show up in only one plan by default. You'd still need to tweak it later, but it would at least be a better starting place.

That all said, being a Revit newbie I'm starting to wonder if we're just not using the program as the factory intended... Because Revit's default is filled arrow for Building Sections, open arrow for Wall Sections, and no arrow for Detail View, (even though we customized the tags) we've been using "Wall" Sections for our "Sections & Details", and "Detail" Views for smaller areas of a larger area (rarely used, and not normally cut on plan, just a Callout on another section). What I'm going to try doing is create a new "Detail View" type with an open arrow ("Detail View : Section") to use for sections and use the no arrow "Detail View : Detail" for the detail callouts. duh!

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: I wish there was a way to control the extents of a Section as you create it.

This wish has been reported as granted and already in the software.

Wish List Administration

The wish has already been granted. This thread is closed to further posts.