Thread: contours disappear

Login to Give a bone

Default contours disappear

I got a drawing from another office and when I added some lines some of the contours or should I say part of the contours disappear. I have checked and made sure all layers were turned on and can not figure it out. Does anybody have an idea as to what is happening?

Thank in advance

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: contours disappear

By adding these lines did you change the limits of the TIN?
    Did the surface bounadry change, and the contours that were whereever they were suddenly not be there, as the limits of the data making up the surface change?
    Are there conditions within the surface, i.e. Maximum triangle length, or Min/Max elevation constraints now impacting the surface?

Send me a copy of your data and I'll take a look at what is going on for you.

Login to Give a bone

No, nothing was changed. The contours are still there it's just that part of them are not seen I mean part of the same contour is not seen. However I can open an older version for the same drawing and not do anything else and the contours on the new drawing are back -weird.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

can I see the file(s)? mjfarrell @ earthlink.net

Linetype and Scaling issues for the contour line layer(s)

I'd really like to examine them.

Login to Give a bone

Something to check would be to see if there's a border on your Surface. If you apply a border to a Surface, then add more breaklines, you can get some very bizarre results, at least until you reorder the edit operations in your Surface properties, as in the attached image (note the controls on the left-hand side, which let you move operations up/down).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

This may be a related scenario, but I'm totally bemused with what's happening. I'm trying to help out a friend, and am stumped.

Scenario: for a large linear job, existing grade was created in a separate office (by a non-c3d guru) and the surface drawing was shipped up to the remote office. There's nothing in the drawing except the surface (created from GIS contours) and the contour labels. Layers for major and minor and labels are all on, not frozen, visible, and none are set to non-plot. (C-TOPO-MAJR, C-TOPO-MINR, C-TINN, C-TOPO-TEXT)

This file is XREFed into modelspace in a sheet file that has a half-dozen tabs, two to three vports per tab. In some of the viewports, not all by any means, either none of the contour lines show up, or only some of them do. There are no per-viewport over-rides, and all layers are on, thawed, and plottable. In the area where the contour lines fail to show up, the contour labels do.

Ideas? things to check?