Thread: Door Family - Frame Types - Door Schedule - Legend Component

Login to Give a bone

Default Door Family - Frame Types - Door Schedule - Legend Component

Another question about doors. I tend to use instance parameters to control most things with door families because I like to avoid having a long list of components on the drop down selector when placing doors.

However, my new firm wants to do a door elevation legend and a frame elevation legend showing all the panel types and frame types used on the job.

I know that Revit has a feature called Legend Component that allows you to place an elevation view of different components into a legend. However, it only allows you to place the different types, not different instances, of the doors in the project. If I use instance parameters to reduce the list of doors on the drop down, then I won't be able to show all required conditions in the legend.

Can you help me think this through? Am I missing something? Is there a better way? Type catalogue, perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Door Family - Frame Types - Door Schedule - Legend Component

If you tend to use instance parameters to control most things with door families it will be deficult to control each & every instance in the project. scheduling will also be a problem. Legends shows types.

LJU

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I'm with LJU with the instance parameters. I'd think about door family creation in terms of the way you want the schedule and legend to fall out, not how to "simplify" the Revit organization. This would be a good time to revise your door families to fit your company schedule and legend standards.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks guys. I ended up doing just what you said, Damon. I created my door families based on how the schedule and legend need to look. Users will just have to deal with the long list on the drop down for placing doors. I might end up with a type catalogue at some point, but that is not really on my radar at the moment. Not enough time currently.

Thanks again to you both.

Login to Give a bone

I build Type Catalogs for some of the largest firms. Many of these Catalogs have thousands of Types. Please note that these Catalogs are the product of complex spreadsheets as a means to keep the information manageable. Building large Type Catalogs with the exact Parameters ensures Parametric Values have been loaded with no room for User error. I keep Instance Parameters limited to Values like door swing Angles or Line Based Families (Integers). Most of these firms instruct Users not to Change Type Values as that is the job of the person setting up the data (Type Catalog).