Thread: General Notes

Login to Give a bone

Default General Notes

I am trying to get my general notes page into revit in a somewhat sensible way.

We have created the general notes document in Word, but can't import or link the word document to Revit. Currently we've entered it into Revit by saving as a PDF, then exporting to jpeg, and then loading the image into the revit file. This is incredibly convoluted, but the formating all stays the same. The problem is that the image file is huge and doesn't alway plot properly. There's got to be a better way.

It is probably possible to create the information in revit, but the text box has so few formatting options that it will be a long and difficult process to get it looking anything like what we have now. So I was wondering - what have other people done with their general notes? There has to be some way to get the information into revit without going through and spacing each line individually.

The real problem is that we have several levels of indentation in the notes - A, 1. a., each indented a different amount. I've tried the schedule work around, but it doesn't allow for that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by lbeyer593018; 2012-08-22 at 08:40 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: General Notes

I use the text import tool in revit extension to import text file into revit drafting view.

Improved Text formatting is one of the top wish list items for revit.

Login to Give a bone

We use the same workflow, but use a TIF image, which gives us much less trouble than a jpg. We are desperate for an alternative, as well.

Login to Give a bone

We do all our notes sheets in CAD still. I don't like it, but it isn't any worse than the alternatives I've found. Improved text formatting might be at the top of us User's wish lists year after year, but it obviously isn't at the top of Autodesk's. Version after version after version ain't a d**n thing's changed.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I've started using Schedules for General notes, with pretty good success. They look exactly the same and are fairly easily scale-able.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ckeelor View Post
    We use the same workflow, but use a TIF image, which gives us much less trouble than a jpg. We are desperate for an alternative, as well.
    Not sure if you've upgraded to 2013 yet, but Tif files won't work in 2013. Or at least everytime I've put one in my current model, it's crashes. .png, smaller file, and doesn't crash the program.
    At least that's what I've found.

Login to Give a bone

I just heard about this trick, and it is a possibility for us. The problem is that our current notes page has several levels of bulleting. I made it kind of work by putting in different columns for each bullet level, and leaving it blank if its not used. The text is all lined up, but at least we can show the different bullet indentation. If I get it set up in our general template we should be able to just change the project specific information and be good to go.

I wish there were a better option though.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Not sure if you've upgraded to 2013 yet, but Tif files won't work in 2013. Or at least everytime I've put one in my current model, it's crashes. .png, smaller file, and doesn't crash the program.
    At least that's what I've found.
    I have Revit Structure 2013 and don't have problems with TIFs..maybe you just have a corrupt file or need to do a reinstall or something?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

lbeyer593018 , if you're using the Schedules format like I mentioned above, you are able to format a cell in Word, then copy paste it into the schedule cell and it will retain the indentations, linebreaks, tabs, etc..

Login to Give a bone

ooh, that is good to know. I haven't had a chance to really work through it, but when I do I will be using this!