Thread: "Group Parameters Under" will not change once family is reloaded into project

Login to Give a bone

Default "Group Parameters Under" will not change once family is reloaded into project

Hello,
    I have a problem that has me a little troubled. I have created a set of families with custom, shared parameters. when I created the files, I placed the custom parameters under the "Other" category of the Group Parameters Under category. When I load the families, all is well.

I then decided to go back to the family and change the category to "Data" since it made more sense because the parameters are truly Data. When I re-load the family into the model, I overwrite the family and its parameters. Upon further inspection, the parameters still show up under the "Other" category. Not cool. So then I went ahead and purged the heck out of my model, removing all of the families. I then re-loaded the family only to have the parameters still show up under the "Other" category

I then opened a New project and loaded the same family. Guess what? The parameters ARE correct in the New project.

So then I decided to go back to the family and change the parameters to a Family Parameter instead of a Shared Parameter. When I do that and load the family into the model, the parameter group is correct. Okay, cool, except for the fact that they will not schedule. Thinking this was the fix, I then changed them back to a shared parameter, re-loaded it into the model and it reverted back to the "Other" category.

WTH is going on? Is this a bug? I am using Revit 2012. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Sash

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Group Parameters Under" will not change once family is reloaded into project

Update:

Problem solved! The file that I am working in would not release the parameters. The solution? In the project, go to Manage > Project Parameters. Add a new shared parameter and point to the parameter file that contains the shared parameters that are in your families. When you find them, go ahead and load them up. I found that it does not matter which category or categories you apply the parameter to. Make sure you point the "Group Parameter Under" to the same category that you intended the family parameters to be under in the first place. Once you have done that, click OK. Now click on one of the affected families in your project. The parameters should have changed. If so, cool. Now you can go back to the Project Parameters and delete all of the parameters that you just loaded into the model. This will NOT remove your loaded family parameters.

Not sure why Revit does this but this method seems to be a good workaround.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Group Parameters Under" will not change once family is reloaded into project

Such a simple solution and yet I'm so thankful! Thing was driving me nuts!

Login to Give a bone

Awesome, Thanks!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Sash,
    I have the same problem with revit 2012.

Though the suggestion of adding shared parameters under 'Project Parameters' works very well, but i dont want to add 20 family parameters under 'Project Parameters'.
    and only for the reason that they should start showing in the correct categories in families...

Any other ideas ?

I really appreciete this post.

-
    Chander.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sash.kazeminejad288046 View Post
    Update:

Problem solved! The file that I am working in would not release the parameters. The solution? In the project, go to Manage > Project Parameters. Add a new shared parameter and point to the parameter file that contains the shared parameters that are in your families. When you find them, go ahead and load them up. I found that it does not matter which category or categories you apply the parameter to. Make sure you point the "Group Parameter Under" to the same category that you intended the family parameters to be under in the first place. Once you have done that, click OK. Now click on one of the affected families in your project. The parameters should have changed. If so, cool. Now you can go back to the Project Parameters and delete all of the parameters that you just loaded into the model. This will NOT remove your loaded family parameters.

Not sure why Revit does this but this method seems to be a good workaround.

I know this is a super old post but I thought I would post the work around in case anyone else is looking for it.
    You can do this through scheduling. Schedule the item and go to" fields". Find the parameter you want to change in either "available" or "scheduled" fields and click "edit". Change the Group parameter in the "parameter data" box and put a check in "add to all elements in the selected categories" and then put a check in the "category" area next to the items the shared parameter affects, hit ok to close the edit box and ok to the schedule properties.
    Check your family, it should now show the parameter in the grouping you moved it to. You can delete the schedule you just created after without affecting the grouping.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Revit Face Punch View Post
    I know this is a super old post but I thought I would post the work around in case anyone else is looking for it.
    You can do this through scheduling. Schedule the item and go to" fields". Find the parameter you want to change in either "available" or "scheduled" fields and click "edit". Change the Group parameter in the "parameter data" box and put a check in "add to all elements in the selected categories" and then put a check in the "category" area next to the items the shared parameter affects, hit ok to close the edit box and ok to the schedule properties.
    Check your family, it should now show the parameter in the grouping you moved it to. You can delete the schedule you just created after without affecting the grouping.
    Thank you all of you, the same situation still in 2024.