Thread: Improve Drawing List to customize drawing order, discipline, etc

Wish List Administration

Default Improve Drawing List to customize drawing order, discipline, etc

Summary: We HAVE to be able to manipulate how sheets are shown on the drawing list, not just in alphabetical order according to sheet number.

Description: How is anyone supposed to use this feature out of the box? There is no way to manipulate how the sheets are displayed in the drawing list, besides arranging them in alphabetical order. We have linked S and MEP models that have to show up here too. In order for this to work, we have to add shared parameters to fill in fields for "discipline" and "drawing order". These should be system parameters, or there should be more control over the formatting of these schedules.

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Annotation Tools

Submitted By: Jonathan Hicks on 08/28/2012

Default Re: Improve Drawing List to customize drawing order, discipline, etc

You get your sheets to list correctly and with Headers, etc., by using the fields, filters, sorting & grouping, formatting, and appearance tabs in your schedule's properties. Here you can organize your sheets by adding fields and sorting them. We call this detailed sheet list the "working drawing list", then duplicate this sheet list and call the copy "sheet List for Title sheet" (or something) and hide the extra columns. Then the sheets appear like we want them. It takes a bit of time to set up but it works. I have made "screen shots" of each of the tabs as a "cheat sheet" for myself. Then I send this set up to my consultants for them to set theirs up the same way and then my list will read their linked files and add them to my list correctly. OR I add rows to the list for the consultants who are not using Revit. I could send you my cheats if this isn't clear.

Can you describe further how you are able to organize the fields? The only way I've been able to manipulate how the sheets are displayed on the drawing list is to add parameters, as I stated in the description. You say you are "adding fields"? Does this mean you are adding project / shared parameters? If so, it doesn't solve the base problem that I stated. It is very cumbersome to add parameters and then have all of your consultants add the exact same parameters in order to sort their drawings. Sorry if I'm not understanding your solution.

I agree that the Project Navigator should have a better "Out of the Box" Solution for organizing Sheets and Views. I'd also like to be able to color code my Views/Sheets based on Discipline or "Whatever" to make it easier to navigate our large Master Sets.

Its pretty simple to add a Shared Parameter (we call ours SortOrder) to the Sheet Index.
    You consultants can use Insert View from file to copy your Sheet Index into their project. This brings in the schedule (Index) itself, and any parameters they don't already have.
    Or if graphics are a concern, they could open your project and go to your Title Sheet. From there they can select the Sheets Index, Copy to Clipboard, and Paste into their project. That gets all of the above, plus the columns widths.