Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Placing user read/write permissions on central file??

Login to Give a bone

Default Placing user read/write permissions on central file??

So my coworkers in other disciplines are having a hard time staying out of the architectural central file!!!! (legacy autocad habit, we can just open up this drawing get what we need and jump out) This has caused many issues as it has disabled the architecture team to synchronize to the central as another user with a different platform of revit has opened the central and saved it. Is it possible to place a read/write access permissions on the central file through the properties tab in windows? This way only the BIM manager for that discipline could open the central file?

Or would this mess up the work sharing that occurs between the central file and multiple local files?

Would this affect the way the central file is linked into other central files?

Any guidance would be extremely helpful.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Placing user read/write permissions on central file??

Quote Originally Posted by graphite View Post
    So my coworkers in other disciplines are having a hard time staying out of the architectural central file!!!!
    Fire them!!! Seriously, bring it to your PM's attention, and be sure to explain this issue. If it doesn't stop, a few firings go a long way.
    Is it possible to place a read/write access permissions on the central file through the properties tab in windows?
    If was in your shoes and really needed some sort of solution, I would ask your IT team to limit access to that folder to specific individuals.
    This way only the BIM manager for that discipline could open the central file?
    Yes, and then you (BIM Manager) would be the only person who can work on the project.
    Or would this mess up the work sharing that occurs between the central file and multiple local files?
    Yes, this would totally mess up work sharing for the team. See previous statement.
    Would this affect the way the central file is linked into other central files?
    No, because others could still see the folder, it would only affect their ability to access the file. Unless you asked your IT team to hide that folder from everyone.

Best of luck to you,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

So have you found a solution to this issue, being able to lock people out yet still retain the worksharing aspect of the central model?

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post

Yes, and then you (BIM Manager) would be the only person who can work on the project.

Yes, this would totally mess up work sharing for the team. See previous statement.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
    If was in your shoes and really needed some sort of solution, I would ask your IT team to limit access to that folder to specific individuals.
    Our structural department had this done for a while, and it worked until enough 'A' screamed they couldn't open the 'S' model. Lock the folder down through your IT Department.

Login to Give a bone

And this locking the folder down did not affect the fact that the architecture central model is linked into the MEP model?

Login to Give a bone

This is a serious offense. It's definitely cause for termination. Very often, non-managing staff have no idea what the stakes are. I worked on a 4 BILLION dollar project where a wiseguy lost the entire project.

We were years into the job. Fortunately, we had a stringent backup procedure, done by IT at night on a different floor. He was totally unaware backups existed. He had to go to the project manager and admit what happened. You should have heard the shouting. Frankly, I let him suffer a while before I stepped in. He wasn't around much longer.

Think about it. What is a project file worth? In this case, add up the salaries of 25 staff, working for years. Add in all the miscellaneous expenses. Then add the vengence of the client for knocking a major project like that years off schedule, then replacing all the work at your own expense, if they don't fire you. It's too frightening to contemplate. This same wiseguy once brought in his own circuit boards and set up his own little network with his buddies in another department. How do you stop these evil geniuses?

One dirty trick we used years ago was to open the central file and check out the grid file in the managers name and save it. That would lock down the CF. It haven't tried that in 8 years and so much has changed since then, it wouldn't suprise me it no longer works.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

And this locking the folder down did not affect the fact that the architecture central model is linked into the MEP model?
    No, because they can still read it, but they can't write to it. No matter what they do, they can't change the file. Its like archiving a project after record documents have been issued. Its like burning it to a dvd, and handing that out. You can't change the linked file. I'm not sure you're able to change anything in a linked file unless you open said linked file.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi guys

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but this is the one that google finds when I search for "revit central file read only permissions".

My question is what should the permissions be to make the file read only? Our IT man has set the folder permission for the group 'Domain Users' to

Full control - not set
    Modify - not set
    Read & execute - yes
    List folder contents - yes
    Read - yes
    Write - not set
    Special permissions - not set

and the group Revitadmin to

Full control - not set
    Modify - yes
    Read & execute - yes
    List folder contents - yes
    Read - yes
    Write - yes
    Special permissions - yes

But users who are not in Revitadmin can still synchronize with the central file. What are we doing wrong?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Lithgow View Post
    Sorry for bumping this old thread
    Don't be sorry, I brought one of my old posts back into the sunlight.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Lithgow View Post
    But users who are not in Revitadmin can still synchronize with the central file. What are we doing wrong?
    I showed this thread to one of our support guys, and he said that the user's local files should be deleted and recreated if necessary. That having a local file created before changing the 'Write' controls, maybe what is allowing the locals to the central files.

One question he had was why is Full Control not set to 'Yes' for the Admin?

I can ask out network admin the same question, to see what he says. Again, this is all done at the folder level, not the file level.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast