Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing shape files

Login to Give a bone

Default Importing shape files

I have water system modeling software where I've created pressure contours for a water system. The contours show the pressure labels in the other software.

I used the mapimport command in Civil 3D and I get the contours to import (CONTOUR.SHP), but the labels are missing when they come-in.

Any ideas on how to get the contour labels to show? The contours are at 0 elevation, so it's not like I can simply label them using C3D functions. ???

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Importing shape files

When you import with the mapimport command you need to select "Create Object Data" then use the Map3D annotations blocks tools to create a template and insert mapanno-blocks with data from the object data.
    A better way may be to create a civil3d surface from the shp file and use the Civl3D labels.
    J. Murphy
    AKA
    Murph
    The former AutoCAD MAP3D Power User

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    A better way may be to create a civil3d surface from the shp file and use the Civl3D labels.
    It doesn't matter, 'cause the OP contours are 2D flattened, and their labels show only pressure values (not elevation).

@ JKA-SCOTT
    It's an interesting issue: may you attach for us those isolines in .SHP format?

I could stop if I wanted to tntdraftsol's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Novarese View Post
    It doesn't matter, 'cause the OP contours are 2D flattened, and their labels show only pressure values (not elevation).
    I may be wrong, but even though the contours/polylines come in at elevation zero if he brought the attribute data with those contours/polylines then the propoerties for those contours/polylines will show what the attribute data has for the elevation for that particular contour/polyline. The Elevation could then be added back to said contour/polyline and then turned into a surface that could be labeled. Of course if the amount of contours you have is great, then this method would be very time consuming.
    Last edited by miketuter; 2012-09-13 at 07:34 PM.
    Mike Tuter
    Engineering Design Technician
    Missouri Department of Conservation
    Revit Structure Certified Professional
    @CAD_Minion

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    When you import with the mapimport command you need to select "Create Object Data" then use the Map3D annotations blocks tools to create a template and insert mapanno-blocks with data from the object data.
    Attached is the contour shape file in the zipped file and a screenshot of a portion of the water system pressure contours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JKA-SCOTT View Post
    Attached is the contour shape file in the zipped file and a screenshot of a portion of the water system pressure contours.
    Your zip file is missing the dbf and shx files to be a complete ESRI Shape file.
    J. Murphy
    AKA
    Murph

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by miketuter View Post
    I may be wrong, but even though the contours/polylines come in at elevation zero if he brought the attribute data with those contours/polylines then the propoerties for those contours/polylines will show what the attribute data has for the elevation for that particular contour/polyline. The Elevation could then be added back to said contour/polyline and then turned into a surface that could be labeled. Of course if the amount of contours you have is great, then this method would be very time consuming.
    Nope you're not wrong, also if the OP has a current version of Civil3D he can create a surface from GIS data (shp) with the _AeccCreateSurfaceFromGISData command and not have to change the elevations or anything.
    J. Murphy
    AKA
    Murph

Login to Give a bone

I added the other files to the zip file now.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JKA-SCOTT View Post
    I added the other files to the zip file now.
    Check my humble solution out, without creating any surfaces, since we're not talking about a 3D drawing...

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The fact that the values indicate pressure rather than elevation is no reason not to use a C3D surface - at least as long as the interpolation between values is linear. Once you HAVE a surface, you may find uses besides simple labeling. Interpolating the value at points between contours pops to mind, or visualization of high/low pressure areas...

I once had a dataset, in the form of a HUGE spreadsheet, that contained flow rates at a number of set depths along a line across an ocean inlet. What I was asked was to find a way to show areas of fast or slow flow, and particularly which state would impact the supports of a proposed bridge. A C3D surface was perfect for that, even though it was a surface tipped on it's side. Running an "elevation" analysis and displaying the surface with a color ramp made for a picture that was worth ten thousand cells. You could spot the heavy flow areas at a glance, and easily see that the abutments would be subjected to relatively low current forces. Then I got the idea to make a version with zero flow. Do a volume surface between the two, and tah-dah! "Volume" equals total water flow through the inlet.

And the bean-counters keep asking why we need spendy Civil 3D when we rarely do road projects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast